Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzymoz View Post
I think some of Harvey's wit didn't come over very well - I'm sure Nigel had a chuckle about the "drag queen" remark - made me laugh too! Nigel's cool and has a great sense of humour!
To be fair, Nige certainly when I was out in Berlin (a few days before the E4 recording) had refused to watch the show, but as you can imagine the rest of the boys had told him about the remark. It was late after the gig and beer was involved but I definitely got the feeling Nige wasn't impressed.

Point taken about the fuck the old fans bit.

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 04-16-2007, 09:56 PM

Great first post mate.I think the other Harvey Goldsmith post was a heat of the moment thing.After watching it ,it did feel like the band were being ridculed and Thomas was just made to look stupid.But thats Saxon they took
some stupid pills over the years.As for Thomas i must defend him a bit here.After seeing Saxon a fair few times over the years i gave up on them in about 1992 after a Leicester gig in front of a few hundred people.Although they played a blinder only the songs up until Innocence seem to hold peopls attention.The bands material was going one way and the fans seem to going another mainley down to grunge,thrash,death,speed,black,turd......ect.Anyw ay back to the point Thomas i think has done a lot of great work(i'm sure you all agree) in getting the band back playing the Astoria type gigs every year.Maybe he puhes Europe because he got sick of banging his head against a brick wall when it comes to the U.K.
As for SPV i can't think of another label more suited to Saxon.I think Morrisey is on the same labelor one similer and they have done wonders for him(along with 2 cracking albums if you like that kind of thing)
As for the E4 thing what i got told over a couple of phone calls was completely differant to what went on.Got i felt shafted afterwards.Like i said before meeting up with Fingers,Goss,Saxonmackenz and Philthy Phil made the whole thing worth while.
Looking back and watching it the second time(i had already seen it at the E4 thing).I thought Saxon didnt come out of it to bad.Harvey knows his shit anyone who says he dont is a fool.But rather than do the football thing i think a full page add in the big 3 rock mags would have done a better job.

This next bit was one of funniest things i have ever seen.It went something like this.

Presenter points to Fingers.
"You have had your hand up a few times would you like to say something"
Fingers: "Yeah cheers mate,I think the release of this single should be given the right promotion.In the last 5 weeks there has been 5 major headlines about kid being killed and gun and knife crime cultre in the Uk is a major problem"
Voice from the crew"Annnnnd cut"
Back to the presenter who points the microphone at H.G.
H.G. then repeats what fingers had just said word for word.Me and Fingers just sat there with our mouths open saying but,but.
You had to be there i think.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Cheers Mate.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 PM

thanks for the post moz
but from where im sitting the programme still sucks
maybe posts were firstly posted in the heat of the moment, but that said many a valid point was made and i still stand by what i said even though i have calmed down somewhat
mr tank top missed out on so many promotional opportunities that it makes me wonder if he is as good as he thinks he is
promoting established acts who really dont need any promotion is one thing but to promote a band like saxon whilst been diffecult but not impossible shouldnt be that hard to do
saxon have a heritage , a back catologue of songs to die for and a big old following , a stage show that would show many a new group a thing or two, a lead singer with something you dont see from most singers and thats showmanship ,and a group of musicians that create very good diverse metal music thats what you promote , this programme just set out to lampoon saxon and its fans , it was c4 version of heavy metal wife swap ,
as i have said before i WORK in sheffield , there was no plugs on the radio, no bill board posters , nothing yet when texas played the sheffield city hall 18 months ago , nearly every hour there was a plug on hallam fm , and half page advert in the metro newspaper,thinking about it texas sold out the city hall and hallam fm broadcast the show live on the radio ,but i found out about the saxon gig like nearly everybody else from the website
even the tour was postposed ( probably to maximize ticket sales after the c4 show ) so mr tank top probably got his wish and fucked the old fans over
anyway im sick of talking about this tosser and this shite programme
see you on tour
Old 04-17-2007, 06:42 PM

I'm still with you Tim, particulary re. lack of promotion and Sheffield in particular, I did fire the question at Tank Top, and was told I couldn't because surprise surprise I was out of camera shot. I still did though Microphone or no Microphone pointing out that Saxon pretty much sell out the Astoria every tour, which is as big as City Hall and sure as hell has more people in it whenever I see them there than City Hall did in Jan. Thomas then asked me not to mention it anymore so c'est la vie.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 PM

Heathen i must take issue with you regarding your remark that harvey knows his shit & anyone who says different is a fool.
Harvey may be a great emprisario but as far as i am aware, he has zero track record when it comes to the promotion of heavy metal (correct me if im wrong). he has had many failures & disasters down the years but they are out weighed by his successes & so are forgotten.
Heavy metal is a very different genre to anything else & IMHO requires a very particular type of promotion, all of which goldsmith obviously knows fuck all about. you cant treat or promote a band such as SAXON like SAMANTHA MUMBA(episode one) & she is much more in line with the tanktop's promotional past.
I am no-one's fool but i believe mr tanktop knows nothing about the concept,promotion,fans,history or legacy of heavy metal in general & he certainly didnt seem to do his homework on our SAXON
Old 04-18-2007, 04:29 PM

Ahem I started this thread to talk sensibly about the show and i didn't want it to degenerate like the other thread into name calling and stupidty.

He is a ROCK promoter - heavy metal is rock too isn't it? He has promoted the worlds biggest rock bands over the years Samantha Muba he wouldn't normally touch so that is totally wrong!

Jeez look at the end of the day this program HAS raised Saxon's profile higher in the UK than it has been for about 10 years at least. Regardless of what you think of his clothing and other pointless jibes against him his involving Saxon in that series HAS done them good - even Biff said as much on the podcast! So for god sake let's get over these silly misquotes out of context that I have read in comments from the show, people slagging it off based on hearsay and the like. There are people who have things to say I know that went to the recordings but based on what we saw and what we now know the program has been very beneficial.

As I said in my original post there is a lot of things that people are dumping on HG for that SPV is or should be responsible for in terms of paying for to promote the band and it's albums over here - but if they aren't getting the sales to justify it in this territory they won't spend it - simple economics. Maybe now with the profile raised you might see a bit more ad spend etc but that is NOT HG's responsibility to promote their albums and the like but it IS the record label's.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Philthy Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzymoz View Post
Jeez look at the end of the day this program HAS raised Saxon's profile higher in the UK than it has been for about 10 years at least.

Ain't that a FACT!

End product......Achieved

Old 04-18-2007, 04:54 PM

200 forum members now and increasing daily.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Ahem I started this thread to talk sensibly about the show and i didn't want it to degenerate like the other thread into name calling and stupidty.
I promise not to call the great Impresario, Tank Top Again.

Quote:
As I said in my original post there is a lot of things that people are dumping on HG for that SPV is or should be responsible for in terms of paying for to promote the band and it's albums over here - but if they aren't getting the sales to justify it in this territory they won't spend it - simple economics. Maybe now with the profile raised you might see a bit more ad spend etc but that is NOT HG's responsibility to promote their albums and the like but it IS the record label's
I do agree with you Moz, but the Sheffield gig in particular was being promoted by Harvey Goldsmith, and therefore you would have expected better promotion surely?

Finally agreed it has raised the profile, things are indeed on the up, but deep down I do think things could have been done better and improved on not Just by Harvey Goldsmith, but also by Ten Alps.