Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Introduce Yourself
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 AM

Default Greetings from Youngstown, Ohio USA

In mid-October of 2017, at age 50, I finally "discovered" Saxon. Although I've been a fan of heavy metal music since the mid-80's, I was never exposed to Saxon as a band or to any of their work, other than a reference to them in a history of metal documentary on VH1. Stumbling upon the Battering Ram video on YouTube in October, I was stunned...first of all, I didn't know the band still existed...secondly, good god do they rock!!! I spent every evening for the next week scouring YouTube for other Saxon videos and music, quickly got hooked, and went on an online shopping frenzy for albums. The following week, the unimaginable happened...the announcement was made that Saxon was coming to my city, Youngstown, Ohio, on the Judas Priest Firepower tour. That show was last night, and man was it awesome! I wish their set could've lasted longer. Hopefully, I can catch them in Pittsburgh or Cleveland when they visit the US, next time.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Hello and Welcome from Germany.
Good you've got into SAXON.
Better later than never.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:15 PM

Howdy and thank you for the welcome. My distant family roots trace back to the UK and Germany, so I most likely have some Saxon blood in me. I guess it was fated that I would discover the band, sooner or later.

It bothers me that Saxon has never had much recognition or a following in the US. Their body of work is a gift handed down directly from the gods of metal. They deserve better. I must say, though, the reception by the Youngstown crowd on Thursday night was quite warm. Maybe some other new fans were made.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Welcome from Texas. Since you just discovered Saxon and have "fresh ears" can you tell us which albums or era you like best?
Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkTexas View Post
Welcome from Texas. Since you just discovered Saxon and have "fresh ears" can you tell us which albums or era you like best?
I tend to favor their work from the '90s to the present. They had plenty of songs from the '80s that are gems, but I think the albums overall were stronger from Forever Free onward. As I began my album purchase adventures, I ended up buying the Solid Book of Rock box set and each studio album released after that collection, with my favorites being (in no particular order) Forever Free, Unleash the Beast, The Inner Sanctum, Into the Labyrinth, Call to Arms, and Sacrifice. I bought the '79 - '88 Very Best of Saxon 3 CD set to cover the early years.

I've found that I tend to favor the later work of many of the long-lived metal bands. I don't know if it's because I'm older, now, or if the later music seems to have a maturity to it that I appreciate. I also prefer 2000 and beyond Motorhead, and Iron Maiden's last several albums (since Dickinson returned).

Saxon's musicianship is top notch, but I think the songwriting is what attracts me the most. Like Iron Maiden, Saxon songs tell interesting stories about history and such, without vulgarity or lyrics demeaning to women. I can listen to Saxon with my 12 year old daughter present and not feel like I have to apologize for my actions. Unlike Iron Maiden, though, Saxon songs tend to be more concise, aren't bogged down by over-indulgent guitar solos, and take more of a Motorhead approach...get in, get to the point, do your business, and get out. I also love Biff's vocals' power and range and his showmanship on stage. His wit and energy live are the equal of Bruce Dickinson's and make for an entertaining stage show. That contrasted at the show Thursday night with Rob Halford's stage presence. Don't get me wrong, I respect and admire Rob Halford, but he's not nearly as dynamic a performer on stage, despite his impressive vocal range.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:18 AM

Welcome, welcome!
Enjoyed reading your opinions.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown_Saxon View Post
I tend to favor their work from the '90s to the present. They had plenty of songs from the '80s that are gems, but I think the albums overall were stronger from Forever Free onward. As I began my album purchase adventures, I ended up buying the Solid Book of Rock box set and each studio album released after that collection, with my favorites being (in no particular order) Forever Free, Unleash the Beast, The Inner Sanctum, Into the Labyrinth, Call to Arms, and Sacrifice. I bought the '79 - '88 Very Best of Saxon 3 CD set to cover the early years.

I've found that I tend to favor the later work of many of the long-lived metal bands. I don't know if it's because I'm older, now, or if the later music seems to have a maturity to it that I appreciate. I also prefer 2000 and beyond Motorhead, and Iron Maiden's last several albums (since Dickinson returned).

Saxon's musicianship is top notch, but I think the songwriting is what attracts me the most. Like Iron Maiden, Saxon songs tell interesting stories about history and such, without vulgarity or lyrics demeaning to women. I can listen to Saxon with my 12 year old daughter present and not feel like I have to apologize for my actions. Unlike Iron Maiden, though, Saxon songs tend to be more concise, aren't bogged down by over-indulgent guitar solos, and take more of a Motorhead approach...get in, get to the point, do your business, and get out. I also love Biff's vocals' power and range and his showmanship on stage. His wit and energy live are the equal of Bruce Dickinson's and make for an entertaining stage show. That contrasted at the show Thursday night with Rob Halford's stage presence. Don't get me wrong, I respect and admire Rob Halford, but he's not nearly as dynamic a performer on stage, despite his impressive vocal range.
Thanks for your time responding. I like the newer stuff too.