Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 AM

Jim wrote:

Seems to be a lot of "opinions" about Maiden and Priest which make me chuckle. As for me, Brave New World, Dance of Death and AMOLAD are belters. Same with Angel of Retribution and Nostradamus. I can't hold them up in comparison with either bands earlier works though as they are completely different. Both bands are still smokin' live though.

I can see your point about Nostradamus(yuk) as I think it is utterly terrible,but I just can't fathom to understand how you can say that about the excellent 2005 Angel Of Retribution LP?

I'm not saying its Judas Priest's best album of all time,but come on man...the songs "Judas Rising"...."Demonizer"....and "Hellrider" are 3 of Judas Priest's best songs of all time to me,name any Priest track...Victim Of Changes,The Ripper,You've Got Another Thing Comin',Painkiller..ect...and in my opinion those 3 songs are equal in kick ass old-school styled Judas Priest.

And even "Deal With The Devil and Wheels Of Fire are classic Priest tracks,the excellent "Elegy" is classic Priest as well,its all opinions but jeeez,the only crappy song on Angel Of Retribution is the very last song "Lochness" but the rest is classic Judas Priest.

And I've been a fan labeling them as my favorite band of all time since 1981,so I do know my Judas Priest very well and I'm extremely picky when they write a new album. I'd go as far as saying that out of 15 studio albums,Angel Of Retribution is Judas Priest's 5th best LP.

But I respect your opinion,but I just can't hear what your hearing in disliking Angel of Retribution.I think its better than Defenders Of The Faith all around.Just my 2 cents though,no worries.

As for Innosence,Rock The Nations and Destiny....I can see why people like them,but its just not my ball park,I prefer the less americanized commercial sound and to me those 3 albums sound too hair-band-era-like in the song writting,but again I can see why people like them.

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 04-15-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 PM

i hate glam/hair/pussy metal from the 80's but if i'm gonna ever hear any good song from those bands i wouldn't be ashamed, good song is good song no matter if it's hair metal or classic metal. i like twister sister and some people put them in the same basket with ratt, poison, warrant and other shitty bands but they aren't glam metal. people tend to think they are cos of their cartoon like image, some videos and make up but the music itself is pure hard rock, like they said themselves they have more in common with ac/dc and judas priest than with hair metal bands.
ah, judas priest and AOR-i really don't like that album, i only like deal with the devil, other songs are very forgettable. saxon "americanized" destiny sound over AOR any time
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM

It is strange how the mere flowing of the years make us change our opionions. Actually we tend to judge everything with more indulgence than in the past. Back in the days those three albums have always been deemed as the worst Saxon products ever, a pathetic commercial move to catch new audience and, as a result, those three records had been refused by the fans who left them unsold in record shops malls. Saxon were judged everywhere as a finished band which had totally lost its track.
Maybe it was an unfair reaction since each album has some fine moments but all in all it is true that Innocence, rock the nations and destiny are the worst saxon albums of the '80s. Innocence is the better of the three tough, since the first side is good.
anyway if someone is interested here is my brief rewiew

Innocence: not bad, first side fresh, second one quite deludent (except for broken heroes). A bit too lightweight. Rate: 6,5/10
Rock: good start with title-track and battle cry, second side horrible. Rate: 5,5/10
destiny: unbelievably commercial. They tried to compete with Aor heroes without any real chanche. Worst Saxon album ever alongside with forever free. Rate: 5/10
Old 04-20-2010, 12:55 AM

I've only listend to individual songs of these albums, and I think some are good, and I do like the song "Northern Lady" - I read a lot of people have resentment of this song largely on the bases that Elton John helped out with the piano playing and I say - so what if someone like Elton John helped out, in the end I found it a good, layed back song.

I will be getting these three albums in the future, even though they are the worst, I have a handful of albums that is considerd the worst of a band, like Virtual IX by Iron Maiden (I found the songs go on a bit, especially "The Angel And The Gambler) and St. Anger by Metallica (Now to be honest, I am being brave admitting this, it was half-baked, sloppy songwriting and singing, felt like Metallica did not even care) for example.

But anyhoot, I agree with the above statements that it would be boring if everyone has the same oppinion, I mean a lot of people like hip hop, "RnB" and "DnB" *cough*, and others like Death and Black Metal while I on the other hand like the oldies, rock, Trad. Heavy Metal and NWOBHM - it all depends on your taste in the end

On the matter of the last track on "Into The Labyrinth" that "Coming Home" on Saxons latest album was, to me, a good song to wind down after the high energy of the album (I think the last song appeals to Saxon fans with a wider taste in music rather than pure metalheads)

And on a totally non related subject (and hopefully rase a smile), I was walking back to my office wearing my Saxon T-shirt last week, and around the corner came a bunch of kids, some wearing emo clothes and two wearing Slipknot T-shirts, when they saw me with my allmighty Saxon T-shirt, they jumped back, made me think does Slipknot fans fear NWOBHM/classic rock fans?

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM

i think those kids are intrigued (or at least a bit curious) when they see someone with metal t shirt and it's band they don't know about (they certainly not intrigued when they see someone with metallica or maiden t shirt)
Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Jim wrote:

Seems to be a lot of "opinions" about Maiden and Priest which make me chuckle. As for me, Brave New World, Dance of Death and AMOLAD are belters. Same with Angel of Retribution and Nostradamus. I can't hold them up in comparison with either bands earlier works though as they are completely different. Both bands are still smokin' live though.

I can see your point about Nostradamus(yuk) as I think it is utterly terrible,but I just can't fathom to understand how you can say that about the excellent 2005 Angel Of Retribution LP?

I'm not saying its Judas Priest's best album of all time,but come on man...the songs "Judas Rising"...."Demonizer"....and "Hellrider" are 3 of Judas Priest's best songs of all time to me,name any Priest track...Victim Of Changes,The Ripper,You've Got Another Thing Comin',Painkiller..ect...and in my opinion those 3 songs are equal in kick ass old-school styled Judas Priest.

And even "Deal With The Devil and Wheels Of Fire are classic Priest tracks,the excellent "Elegy" is classic Priest as well,its all opinions but jeeez,the only crappy song on Angel Of Retribution is the very last song "Lochness" but the rest is classic Judas Priest.

And I've been a fan labeling them as my favorite band of all time since 1981,so I do know my Judas Priest very well and I'm extremely picky when they write a new album. I'd go as far as saying that out of 15 studio albums,Angel Of Retribution is Judas Priest's 5th best LP.

But I respect your opinion,but I just can't hear what your hearing in disliking Angel of Retribution.I think its better than Defenders Of The Faith all around.Just my 2 cents though,no worries.

As for Innosence,Rock The Nations and Destiny....I can see why people like them,but its just not my ball park,I prefer the less americanized commercial sound and to me those 3 albums sound too hair-band-era-like in the song writting,but again I can see why people like them.
I think you misunderstood me bro'. When i say "belters" its saying that i think they kick ass. I love Angel of Retribution. The talking point would be that I love Nostradamus too I don't get people not liking angel of Retribution. Totally agree with your views there JD.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I think you misunderstood me bro'. When i say "belters" its saying that i think they kick ass. I love Angel of Retribution. The talking point would be that I love Nostradamus too I don't get people not liking angel of Retribution. Totally agree with your views there JD.
Oh I'm sorry Jim,I totally misunderstood you my friend.I guess I didn't know what "belters" meant. My fault. I'm not saying that Retribution is they band's best work but it puzzles me how many people don't like that LP,the only terrible track on it to me is Lochness lol! But thats they very last song,I like the first 9 songs and don't have to skip through any tracks. I see why you like Angel Of Retribution though,me too.

Innuendo ....you only like Deal With The Devil I know but how can you not like "Demonizer"????? Or Hellrider???? lol! God they are 2 of Judas Priest's best tracks ever!! But it is what it is,I know fans that don't like the song "Painkiller".

I remember when Screaming For Vengeance came out in 1982 and some fans were bitching about that album not sounding or being like British Steel,I remember a fan who was bashing Electric Eye that has now been deemed a classic so we all differ our opinions thats for sure.

As far as Innocense,Rock The Nations and Destiny,they may have some tracks on them here and there that are ok but they are just to poppy sounding to me but thats not the reason I don't like them,as Innuendo said if you like a song then it doesn't matter if its commercialized or not,but I'm still not too big of a fan of the music on those albums but that doesn't mean they are great for somebody else,my opinion isn't the final say,we all have our own ideas as to whats good and what is not.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:08 PM

hey j.d. diamond i have to say i'm not very big fan of painkiller, it's ok album (and song) but i don't see how it can be put side to side with british steel or screaming for vengeance. for me it's not in top 5 priest albums
Old 04-25-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
hey j.d. diamond i have to say i'm not very big fan of painkiller, it's ok album (and song) but i don't see how it can be put side to side with british steel or screaming for vengeance. for me it's not in top 5 priest albums
Yeah I know you don't like Painkiller innuendo,I also know you hate The Inner Sanctum as well although I still think it's Saxon's 2nd best LP next to Lionheart. We have 180 degree vast difference of opinions when it comes to album rankings lol! But thats not a bad thing,it would be boring if we all liked the exact same thing as we know ect. I still can't see how you don't like the songs "Demonizer" or "Hellrider" 2 of Priest's best songs lol!!

To me,the top 5 Judas Priest albums are:

Sad Wings Of Destiny
British Steel
Screaming For Vengeance
Painkiller
Angel Of Retribution

My top 5 Saxon albums of all time are:

Lionheart
The Inner Sanctum
Unleash The Beast
Metalhead
Into The Labyrinth
Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 PM

I though I would like crusader very much. But I like those three albuns better than Crusader.

I know it's a different opinion about it, but it's a honest one.