Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=lionessheart;28700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post

Well it would all be VERY dull if we agreed on everything.

Imagine if we all agreed on politics. In the Italian Parliment they have punch ups!
It's not a good example...
Old 04-06-2010, 06:31 PM

For me Destiny is great album and it was my first Saxon record in 1991. I liked it a lot and that album introduced to me Saxon. Ride like the wind, where lightning strikes, Red alert... damn i love all those songs.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=J.D.DIAMOND;28690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessheart View Post
The one thing that puzzles me is this forum....95% of this forum I've noticed do not like Walking Through Tokyo or the bottleneck version of Coming Home!! HAHAHA that stumps me every time,I can't find any other fans of Saxon outside this forum who hate these 2 songs and it cracks me up lol!!
Me ? I am not impressed with "Hellcat" & "Tokyo" but very happy with the ole bottleneck version of "Coming Home". I cannot stand "Party Till Elton arrives" or whatever its called, that, for me, was Saxons lowest ebb.

As regards the reissued albums; I have not heard the reissues but I know the original albums intimately except for RTN's which I rarely listen to.

Innocence is, for me, one of the best Saxon albums, it is very listenable in a "social" environment as well. I have had more "non-heavy rock" music fans recognise & comment on how good that album is than any other album I own. Broken Heroes is one of Saxons highlights in a brilliant career. 9/10.

Destiny is OK. I can take it or leave it, I quite like it but often play something else instead. "Red Alert", "SOS" and "Calm Before The Storm" are great in my view. 5/10

RTN's is poor, sure, the title track and "Battlecry" are very good, but overall this is just a poor album. 2/10

So thats my pennies worth then
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=XRWoody;29325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post

Me ? I am not impressed with "Hellcat" & "Tokyo" but very happy with the ole bottleneck version of "Coming Home". I cannot stand "Party Till Elton arrives" or whatever its called, that, for me, was Saxons lowest ebb.

As regards the reissued albums; I have not heard the reissues but I know the original albums intimately except for RTN's which I rarely listen to.

Innocence is, for me, one of the best Saxon albums, it is very listenable in a "social" environment as well. I have had more "non-heavy rock" music fans recognise & comment on how good that album is than any other album I own. Broken Heroes is one of Saxons highlights in a brilliant career. 9/10.

Destiny is OK. I can take it or leave it, I quite like it but often play something else instead. "Red Alert", "SOS" and "Calm Before The Storm" are great in my view. 5/10

RTN's is poor, sure, the title track and "Battlecry" are very good, but overall this is just a poor album. 2/10

So thats my pennies worth then

Hey XR I see what your point of view is,very interesting....man I'm the only one here who actually likes Walking Through Tokyo HAHA!! lol!! And I'm with ya as I think the bottle neck version of coming home is very classic stuff and very well done.

I don't like Hellcat either man its just not a good song at all for me either and I really don't like Live To Rock,its not as bad as Hellcat of course but I never am able to get into it.I like 11 songs from Into The Labyrinth and thas very impressive song writting.

I like the Crusader song but was never thrilled with the album itself.I know it is what it is,they did what they thought was right at that time I just happen not to like it lol! Crusader,Innocence,Rock The Nations,and Destiny and then Solid Ball Of Rock and Forver Free...those 6 albums to me are Saxon's lowest quality,but the other 12 albums are awsome for me.

I like Iron Maiden's old stuff and a few songs from thier career but I've always thought that from 1995 Dogs Of War album up till now...thats the last 7 studio albums Saxon totally blows away Iron Maiden into the dust with consistant excellence.

I think that Iron Maiden are good but they are overrated big time,Saxon to me is the most underrated heavy metal/rock band of all time,they smoke Maiden in quality song writting these last 7 LPs man,but its my opinion I know I just wish Saxon would get a little more credit for thier albums as they are totally amazing.

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 04-08-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:35 PM

JDD, not only Maiden is overrated. Do you think if SAXON has made
'Death magnetic' they have sold that massive numbers of copies?

On one way i am sad about the whole situation that SAXON has not
the status worldwide as at mine. On the other side i like to see them
in smaller clubs/venues and not in such big arenas with 20000 other
ones who has no metal-feeling, etc.
Sorry...

About these albums my opinion will follow later

Adios, Achim (hmthunder)
Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM

when my friend first introduced me to saxon albums he said that destiny is saxon's worst album but after he listened to it more carefully he said: destiny rocks! and i must agree, not saxon best album but certainly not the worst
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 04-09-2010, 04:50 PM

To me, Destiny is one of them albums I know I shouldn't like but yet I kinda do.. I don't know, as long as I listen to it for a certain amount of time it's not so bad but after a period of time it gets kinda boring. It's a shame because albums before and after *that* era were bloody fantastic! I guess Destiny brings back good memories for me, you know the whole 80s vibe and good memories in general.

I am weird. Take me seriously at your own peril.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmthunder View Post
JDD, not only Maiden is overrated. Do you think if SAXON has made
'Death magnetic' they have sold that massive numbers of copies?

On one way i am sad about the whole situation that SAXON has not
the status worldwide as at mine. On the other side i like to see them
in smaller clubs/venues and not in such big arenas with 20000 other
ones who has no metal-feeling, etc.
Sorry...

About these albums my opinion will follow later

Adios, Achim (hmthunder)
Hey HMThunder,no I don't think that Saxon would of sold as many copies as Shitallica has had they made Death Magnetic...thank god they didn't write that piece of garbage.Shitallica only sold that many copies because they are a trend like Iron Maiden is.

95% of Shitallica fans go see the band so they can hear songs from Kill "Em All,Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets but yet they still like the new stuff too. I've seen many cases of people trying to force themselves to like every new Metallica album that comes out because they will never admit thier favorite band has released a shit album,I've seen this time after time after time with other bands too.

They spend thier hard earned cash on the album so they think they MUST find a way to like it no matter what ect... I'm the opposite,the instant I hear something I don't like it sucks forever,there is no room for something that "grows on me"...songs don't "grow on me" like fungus growing on trees ya know?

I am kinda torn between Saxon's popularity because in one way I like the fact that Saxon are not as big or even close to Iron Maiden,then they aren't even close to being as big as Judas Priest or Motorhead and they are kinda hidden in a way and thats all cool and everything but the reason I'd like to see them get more popular is because I live in the U.S.A. not Europe....you guys have it made over there man...Saxon tours Europe like Motorhead tours the U.S.A.

Seeing Saxon for you guys is money in the bank,you guys can count on seeing them pretty much anytime and any tour you want to,but for us in the States its very far and few between.

They only play maybe 4 shows in the U.S. A. and thats not every tour even so from me living in Seattle they don't even come close to where I live and I can't afford to travel to New York city to see them when they play there.From Seattle to New York is the entire United States I'd have to travel.

So I'm not bitching here,I'm just envyous and somewhat jealous of you guys that live in Europe because the odds are I will never see Saxon live and I've heard that they are amazing live.

Its just a shame that Lemmy can't find a way to take Saxon on tour with Motorhead. Motorhead played in my home town Seattle twice for the Motorizer tour...once in January 2009 and again in October.....Saxon...please tour with Motorhead!!! lol!!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:52 AM

Default Innocence

Innocence... is actually one of my favorite Saxon albums. The production and overall sound is quite different to what they had done before (and since) but I think there are some great rocking songs on it, and for my mind it's probably one of their more consistent albums as a whole. It's just a shame that the production did not do it justice. I think it would have been better received if they had recorded those songs with a more raw sound like they had done previously. I just got the new remastered version the other day but have only had the chance to play it in my car as yet, so I'm not in a position to make a comparison sound-wise with the original at this time. I need to blast it out full-tilt on the home system first!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:46 PM

As a Saxon fanboy i love those 3 albums

I bought Destiny the day it came out. Also bought David Lee Roth "Skyscraper" and Maiden "Somewhere in Time" from Spillers Records in Cardiff on the same day Destiny always brings back good memories and it kicks ass.

Seems to be a lot of "opinions" about Maiden and Priest which make me chuckle. As for me, Brave New World, Dance of Death and AMOLAD are belters. Same with Angel of Retribution and Nostradamus. I can't hold them up in comparison with either bands earlier works though as they are completely different. Both bands are still smokin' live though.

One thing that can't be argued is the consistency and quality of Saxon albums but i wouldn't say the new stuff is better than the old or vice versa. Tiz all good