Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Default Your Favourite Tour and Why

Just wondered what your fave Saxon tour was and why?

For me it would have to be the Denim and Leather Tour for two reasons.

1. This was my first "lig around the UK tour" where holidays were booked around the entire tour and did all but 2 of the gigs in the UK.

2. This tour brought Nigel to the band where he made such a great "temp" stand in. Wonder if he knew then just how long he would remain in the band!

Although saw them supporting Motorhead and Rainbow (blew them off stage at Deeside) and then a couple of Wheels gigs (Dixieland showbar Colwyn Bay and Liverpool Royal court) and then Liverpool Empire on the Strong Arm tour, but it was the Denim one that really got me into serious touring.

Many happy years followed including most of the Innocence Tour, couple of Fan Club trips to Nijmagen and Amsterdam, a hitch over to Dortmund and then of course the infamous Mildenhall Festival one day and then Heavy Metal Goes to the Dogs at Hackney the day after!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Even though I think I've seen them plenty of times since where they've actually been better live, I think my fave would have to be the first time I saw them, because it was the first time I saw them and I was dumbfounded and awestruck from first note to last. This was at Hammersmith Odeon in 1984 on the Crusader Tour.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 AM

My fav. was the Inner Sanctum tour, ecause I met Doug and Paul backstage and they all signd my DVD To Hell And Back again.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:46 PM

Think one my faves are the tour last year, where i saw them five times in six days... (see hmthunder on tour-thread)

Must have seen them round about ninety times, or more?
The best gig ever for me was at the Musikzirkus in Oberhausen/Germany
1988 where they played in the front of maximum 100 peoples,
it was so great to see the power of them for us few and they
blew us away but we gave them back all our souls, i think !!!

If they ever will stop to go on the road my heart will crack!!!

Best wishes, see ya in the front of Nibs, hmthunder
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 AM

stand out tours for me were rock n roll gypsies uk tour 1990 - saxon knocked us out every night, never seen a band with such dedication and determination fucking amazing.
seen them so many times since 1980, saxon always giving something different and more, and the last 3 tours inner sanctum, into the labyrinth, call to arms the band is simply a mighty metal bulldozer.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM

Denim and Leather Tour was magical.

The formal intro leading straight into 'Bands Played On' was too good to believe. This was my golden era for gigs in general and metal was at a high point.

I had seen the group supporting Motorhead on the Bomber Tour but the set was short and basic but when the Dam broke it lead up to the D&L tour which was possibly the pinnacle of the early years for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
Denim and Leather Tour was magical.

The formal intro leading straight into 'Bands Played On' was too good to believe. This was my golden era for gigs in general and metal was at a high point.

I had seen the group supporting Motorhead on the Bomber Tour but the set was short and basic but when the Dam broke it lead up to the D&L tour which was possibly the pinnacle of the early years for me.
Good post Mark.
Also remember on the DL tour (especially at Bingley), the band had borrowed the mortar cannons used by AC/DC, when they went off, Biff crapped himself!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militia guard View Post
Good post Mark.
Also remember on the DL tour (especially at Bingley), the band had borrowed the mortar cannons used by AC/DC, when they went off, Biff crapped himself!

LOL wish I had seen that
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM

My favourite one was with Motörhead in Berlin in 1992. Just because it was my first metal concert ever. And you know, there's always something special about your first.
And than my second favourite is always the latest one that I've seen because it's the freshest in my memory.