Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Smile Rome

Got a text from sunny Rome last night - SaxonMckenz was flying the flag for the UK out there.

Hopefully a review will follow.

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 04-18-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Got a text from sunny Rome last night - SaxonMckenz was flying the flag for the UK out there.

Hopefully a review will follow.
That SaxonMckenzie sure does get around a bit lol - canny wait to hear about the concert
Old 04-19-2007, 05:50 PM

Yeah!! Hats off to the man, credit where it's due SaxonMckenz you are a devoted fan and it must cost you some wonga!!!

Last edited by SAXONIZED; 04-19-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Rome Gig

Finally I have got time to give you all a little insight to the Rome gig.

I was luckily enough to be in Rome for a few days so i had time to find out where the venue was by visiting it a few days earlier in an attempt to buy the tixs for the show. Buying tixs was not an easy task as they could only be bought on the night, by internet or from a venue that luckily, turned out to be 5mins from where i was staying.

I must admit that when i arrived to the venue a few days earlier, i had no confidence that it would be a great show at all (obviously i had no concerns about SAXON's performance). The venue was like a tiny brick shed and there was a fashon show catwalk right down the middle. On first glance, it looked like it could only hold about 300 to 400. Also it was not a very wide building but quite long, with a bar on the left side. However, outside the venue was a different story. It had brilliant pockets of seating areas, with massive metal sculptures of animals. It was a fantastic place to have a beer, whether in the sun or later in the evening in between metal bands.

Another concern was the lack of advertisment around Rome (The usual story i hear some of you say). There were posters everywhere of every other Tom, Dick and Harvey, sorry Harry. Even McQeen posters were everywhere. I only saw two large posters at the venue and an A5 poster at the ticket shop. I AM PLEASED TO TELL YOU THAT MY CONCERNS WERE UNFOUNDED.

We arrived at the venue on the night of the show and the fist thing we saw when we turned the corner was the mighty inner SAXON tour lorry and the saxon bus. That was an instant lift to my morale. We then had a look at the range of fake saxon t-shirts outside the venue. I must admit some were very tempting as they would have been unique to italy, but they were tiny.

After half an hour of waiting, the gates opened and we were let into the gardens of the Circolo delgi Artisti (the venue). In fact the original venue the Alphieus is a renowned gay hot spot. We had a little walk around the gardens where sitting in a dark corner was Thomas and Doug. Top blokes!!! We had a brilliant chat about all the latest SAXON issues. Then Nigel came out followed by Nibbs who use to go to school with my partner. We talked so much that i didn't watch Masterplan but just listened to them.

The guys gave me a few interesting facts which i promised would not appear on here but also some things to look forward to.

1. It looks like, at some point soon, SAXON will be on the Justin Lee Collins show (the friday night project i think) doing some spoof sketch which they said was brilliant fun. Nibbs said Justin was really into SAXON and wants to wear a saxon t-shirt on the show etc. So keep an eye out for that.

2. Thomas & Doug also said that some shows had to be cancelled because of dodgy going ons at a certain venue and this had a snowball effect so that more had to be re-arranged.

3. Thomas also said that a little surprise may happen on the uk part of the tour.

4. Biff is or was a judge on a battle of the bands show that is on sky.

Thanks to Nibbs, Doug, Nigel (i haven't frogotten what you asked me to do for you) and Thomas for a brilliant informal laugh and chat. Didn't see Biff or Paul until inside the venue.
They also said that a lot of the crew were really sick.

Now gig time. Walked in. Bang!!!!! I could not believe my eyes. While talking the gig was packed full of sweaty Italians. I left my partner safely by the mixing desk and weaved my way to the front as the intro finished. The palce erupted like pompei. Sammi it was wild, even for me. The crowd were screaming for fast songs and a everyone was jumping, headbanging and moshing. At 1 stage the Italians started fighting amongst themselve and i think 1 guy got carried off either by his friends or staff.

The sound was brilliant tonight and so was Biff's voice. After an hour and a half in the sweat box i made my way to the back to find my partner. What a heat. Biff threw water into the crowd. I asked someone who worked there about the capacity and he said 800 without the mixing desk. So i estimate there must have been 700-750 there.

Cheers Torben for the setlist although it did change because of Biff surprising the band by throwing in unplanned songs.

They played the usual setlist for this tour but did not play Red Star or Requiem, or Power & the Glory, 747 that some other venues got. They played Witch Finder General instead. I think they played 18 songs and it was under 2 hrs. This may have been because of the heat or the sick crew.

Anyway a fantastic performance by saxon as usual, sound brilliant, crowd wild, venue packed and rocking.

See you all at Rock City and Glasgow
Old 04-21-2007, 01:45 PM

I'm sorry for you: to me in Milan Red Star falling and Requiem were 2 highlights of the show!

Last edited by Cat of Peace; 04-21-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:48 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Torben

was nice to meet you, saxonmckenz
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 PM

Glad you had a good night mate.

www.last.fm/user/Paxoman
Old 04-21-2007, 09:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Saxon Chick

Cracking review, Saxonmckenz It sounds like if I had been there, I'd have been with your lady at the mixing desk!

Isn't Rome just a fab (but v expensive!) place?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:00 PM

Thanks for a Fantastich review, McKenz - and for the insight on "things to look forward to" !!! Great that you managed to meet up with Thomas, Doug, Nigel, Nibbs and Torben. You are right - they are Diamond Geezers and always make an effort and take time for a chat with the Saxon Faithful. Hope the Crew get better soon. Can't wait to see you in Glasgie and Nottingham for a few beers !!

Cheers, Mate. Goss.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon Chick View Post
Isn't Rome just a fab (but v expensive!) place?
Yes, Rome is a bizarre place but not expensive, or better it depends: it's a such big city you can find cheap and expensive stuff (for "stuff" I mean restaurants, food, bed & breakfast, hotels...). A modest advice: don't buy anything (especially bottle of water) near to Saint Peter...