Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 AM

Default Judas Priest's Angel Of Retribution

What are your opinions of the Judas Priest Angel Of Retribution album?

In my opinion 8 out of 10 tracks are classic quality Priest:

Judas Rising
Deal With The Devil
Worth Fighting For(very similar to Desert Plains)
Demonizer
Wheels Of Fire
Angel(very Sad Wings Of Destiny style)
Hellrider
Eulogy(also Sad Wings Of Destiny style)

The only 2 under-par songs in my opinion are Revolution and Lochness. I think it is Priest's 6th best album.

The 5 LPs I think are better are Sad Wings Of Destiny,British Steel,Screaming For Vengeance,Defenders Of The Faith and Painkiller.

I can't see albums like Rocka Rolla,Sin After Sin,Stained Class,Hell Bent For Leather,Point Of Entry,Turbo,Ram It Down,Jugulator,Demolition or Nostradamus beating this album in quality.

So what do you think?

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 02-19-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Is there any Priest fans out here who can help me rate Angel Of Retribution? They have 16 studio albums...I would rank Retribution #6 best all time. I'm trying to get a percentage of posts/opinions to see how good the album is.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Is there any Priest fans out here who can help me rate Angel Of Retribution? They have 16 studio albums...I would rank Retribution #6 best all time. I'm trying to get a percentage of posts/opinions to see how good the album is.
Hi J.D. I'm not that keen in putting a bands back catalogue in complete order because I always think its a very difficult thing to do but, if you want my opinion on their albums then I actually think Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leather (Or 'Killing Machine' as it was called in the UK) are better albums purely because they were two of the first albums that got me into Priest and I relate to them more than Angel of Retribution. I actually think Killing Machine is a very underated album.

I'm also probably one of the few people who like Loch Ness. Yes it's very different to the rest of the album but the more you listen to it the better it gets. I'm also a big fan of Jugulator. I loved Ripper with Priest (saw him twice with them) and in my opinion was better live than Halford is nowadays.

Angel of Retribution was definitely a great comeback album for the band with Halford but it's tough for me to say it's 'better' than albums like Point of Entry or Turbo because those albums mean something different to me when I listen back to them. My nostalgia about certain albums always gets in the way of rating them against newer material. The feeling an album or song gives me is more imortant to me than whether the songs are actually better or worse.

Of course I never think you can truly rate something because they mean different things to different people and not everyone has all the albums by a particular band to compare against anyway.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:41 PM

I think it's a good comeback album and it has some really strong songs on it. I absolutely love Worth Fighting For. However, I do like Hell Bent For Leather and Point Of Entry a bit more, I guess. Well, ranking those albums is difficult, as Rick has already explained. What I miss most on Angel Of Retribution is the combination of more catchy hook and melody side of Priest with the heavy riffs. The heavy riffs are certainly there, but it doesn't have that classic Priest vibe to me in a lot of the songs. Also, I think the vocals are to monotonous - for lack of a better word - for most of the album. That probably sounds like a lot of criticism, but I still like the album a lot
Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
1) British Steel
2) Stained Class
3) Killing Machine
4) Screaming For Vengeance
5) Sad Wings of Destiny
6) Defenders of the Faith
7) Painkiller
8) Angel of Retribution
9) Point of Entry
10) Sin After Sin
11) Turbo
12) Ram it Down
14) Nostraborues

Last:- The ripper ones

Sorry JD, I really like Stained class. It might be a sentimental thing as it was my first Priest album and I fell in love with the artwork. not keen on Beyond the Realms though.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 PM

my thoughts about angel are known to you j.d.d. maybe if i give it another spin i would rate it higher. anyway here are my top 5 JP albums:

1 british steel
2 screaming for vengeance
3 killing machine
4 painkiller
5 sin after sin
So grey is the face of every mortal