Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Default Saxon/ Priest show wish list

Am really hoping Saxon varies up the set list for the Priest gig in May. I'd like to hear more stuff from Lionheart, Inner Sanctum, Labyrinth, Beast, also maybe some older gems they dont play that much anymore.

Since they just played all of D and L in London I don't care if I don't hear any of that...I love the band, seen 'em every time they tour for the last 5 years, but getting tired of hearing the same old songs...they got too many good ones to ignore.

C'mon Biff and guys, give us some stuff you ain't played in a while!!

I'd love to hear:

Unleash the Beast
Cut out the Disease
State of Grace
Conquistedor
Sweeny Todd
Rock n Roll Gypsy (yea, I know they play this but I ain't heard it a long time!)

What do you lot wish they would play??

Maybe if we shout loud enought they will listen, lol!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Live to rock 747

lionheart
state of grace
unleash the beast
the thin red line
stallions of the highway
Old 01-22-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live to rock 747 View Post
lionheart
state of grace
unleash the beast
the thin red line
stallions of the highway
Ohh, The Thin Red Line is a good one!!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 PM

Saxon headline,Priest support!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsue View Post
Ohh, The Thin Red Line is a good one!!
I agree. I have never seen them do it live, though. However, it seems it is played rather often, at least in the UK.

Anyway, I hope everybody going will get a fair bit of Saxon before Priest
Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 AM

I agree with everything all of you have said here

BUT;

as we all know Saxon's popularity is on the rise again. This is a great support slot, AT HAMMERSMITH, where whether we like it or not, many of the people will be there for Priest. Saxon will once again be aiming to convert people who perhaps have lost touch with the band and have not seen them for a while.

We have to remember that!! The setlist might get a little stale FOR US sometimes because many of us are lucky enough to go and watch the band on a fairly regular basis.

Bearing that in mind, Saxon have to put themselves first and play what a majority will want to hear and that will be the well known songs and some off the new album. A gig like this demands it.

It's no good them listening to the diehards and ending up playing a set (we might want) but consist of songs no one else has heard of. They will shoot themselves in the foot and that's the last thing we want.

Lets wait for the next tour and then see if we can get them playing a few different songs otherwise all the reviews will be saying things like played well but where was Denim & Leather, a wasted oppurtunity etc
Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Live to rock 747

seen saxon do The thin red line once live, cant remember where now, but deff one of my favs of unleash the beast album cracking song and a belter of a guitar solo as well. The link below is a guy of youtube i found doing the solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSd24aCLahw
Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post

BUT;

as we all know Saxon's popularity is on the rise again. This is a great support slot, AT HAMMERSMITH, where whether we like it or not, many of the people will be there for Priest. Saxon will once again be aiming to convert people who perhaps have lost touch with the band and have not seen them for a while.

We have to remember that!! The setlist might get a little stale FOR US sometimes because many of us are lucky enough to go and watch the band on a fairly regular basis.

Bearing that in mind, Saxon have to put themselves first and play what a majority will want to hear and that will be the well known songs and some off the new album. A gig like this demands it.

It's no good them listening to the diehards and ending up playing a set (we might want) but consist of songs no one else has heard of. They will shoot themselves in the foot and that's the last thing we want.

Lets wait for the next tour and then see if we can get them playing a few different songs otherwise all the reviews will be saying things like played well but where was Denim & Leather, a wasted oppurtunity etc
Great point, a show like this almost demands a "greatest hits" type of setlist regardless of how many times the die-hard fans may have heard those songs.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post

BUT;

gonna have to respectfully disagree with you Mate.

I think that Priest and Saxon have pretty much the same audience...how many people here are fans of both and go to both shows?

Also, if they are trying to win over whatever "new" fans might be there, or get back old fans who may have lost touch as you say then why not play newer stuff, show them Saxon has been continuing to make new, fantastic music over the last few years and they don't need to rest on their laurels by playing all the old hits that everyone knows. Sure, play the classics like Wheels of Steel, D & L, Princess...but they could lose stuff like Motorcycle Man and easily replace with new stuff.

I think both aruguments are valid, just depends on your viewpoint.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorsue View Post
Also, if they are trying to win over whatever "new" fans might be there, or get back old fans who may have lost touch as you say then why not play newer stuff, show them Saxon has been continuing to make new, fantastic music over the last few years and they don't need to rest on their laurels by playing all the old hits that everyone knows. Sure, play the classics like Wheels of Steel, D & L, Princess...but they could lose stuff like Motorcycle Man and easily replace with new stuff.
I tend to agree with this point of view - Saxon have continually made good albums in recent years often putting the Priest releases of late into the shade.

So hell yeah play some of the great almost forgotten (already) songs from Lionheart, Inner Sanctum & In to the Labyrinth

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL