Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Yes mtt I understand and agree with your views here except for one.... The over-all point I think is that we all want other people to recognize the band.....and being listed in guitar magazines,or "best band list" the band gets more of a chance to get recognized.

With the recognition they have a chance at gaining new fans and then the new fans buy thier albums and see thier shows...

Just by the new fans buying thier albums and seeing thier shows,the band gets more $money in thier pockets for the awsome songwritting and live shows they so deserve.This being said,I have to "dis-agree with you" and say that 'I do care".

But you are correct at saying: We who know will have richer lives for experiencing the greatness that is Saxon...thats for sure.
I get ya JD.
However at this point in their career I think Saxon have more than enough fans to keep them going for as long as they want to go. It is doubtful they will have a "breakthrough" at this stage in their career and have them explode all over the world. What matters to them (and us)is that we (the band and their fans) all know how fucking awesome Paul is. If the rest of the world doesn't want to recognize it, they can kiss my chunks!!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:47 AM

Thumbs up

good paul - bad paul...

he doesn´t need to appear in any list

its okay when he appears at our table in the forum as he did in holmfirth

cheers mr. quinn !

A LIFE WITHOUT MEMORIES IS NO LIFE
MUSIC WITHOUT MEMORIES IS NO MUSIC
MEMORIES WITHOUT MUSIC IS NO LIFE

- TAKE CARE: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU -
I WILL REMEMBER !!!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAXONATOR View Post
good paul - bad paul...

he doesn´t need to appear in any list

its okay when he appears at our table in the forum as he did in holmfirth

cheers mr. quinn !

Wow SAXONATOR that rocks! Is that you in there amongst the others with Paul Quinn?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 AM

i was the shooter of this pic

A LIFE WITHOUT MEMORIES IS NO LIFE
MUSIC WITHOUT MEMORIES IS NO MUSIC
MEMORIES WITHOUT MUSIC IS NO LIFE

- TAKE CARE: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU -
I WILL REMEMBER !!!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAXONATOR View Post
i was the shooter of this pic
Wow! Thats kick ass SAXONATOR!!! That must be awsome to hang out with Paul Quinn and friends,thanks for letting us in on that picture,great stuff!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 AM
Banned

Default I agree

Saxonator, I certainly agree with ya and I have spoken with Paul before and he answer would be " It's all just Rock n Roll". Awesome shot of all of you sipping that special british tea ( otherwise called brew) lol.

I just thought it a freakin shame to see all these list's and Paul or Doug not on them. That's not bad for me to think that is it. I am their biggest fan.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyWalker View Post
I am their biggest fan.
No, that's me. I'm a total fanatic. Some say I'm nuts...

The solo in Crusader is just fantastic. Long and melodic all the way.

Last edited by Patte; 04-20-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 AM

I love Paul's playing (especially from 1979 to 1997). As he himself said, his solos can be whistled because of the strong melodies they are forged with. Some more celebrated guitarists wasn't able to craft good melodies all around their career: to me Downing/Tipton did some albums with shitty solos (for instance Jugulator and Demolition) and other with unuseless solos (for instance Point of Entry). As usual I think it's a problem of success: I don't know any lists of you're talking about, but I'm preatty sure you can find a not fondamental guitarist as Janick Gers in just because is in Iron Maiden. Somebody likes him, of course, but how can you seriously rank him as one of the great hard rock/metal guitar players??????
Although it seems to me that the large majority of solos and melodies was done by Quinny, I would also remember Graham Oliver's contribution: his few solos were well-crafted too and of course he gave his contribution to rhytm guitar basis. He left the band, he said a lot of bulshit about the band and he did the pathetic OD Saxon thing but we can't deny or forgotten his historical value (the same goes for Steve Dawson, such a great bass player). I'm sure Quinny would agree with me.
Last but not least, I don't agree with Matteo but it doesn't seem fair to me the way some of you answered him: he didn't lack of any respect to you or the band, so I don't see the point to be rough to him (perhaps you weren't and I misunderstood your writing).
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyWalker View Post
Mr. Matteo, what kind of allegiance do you have. Have you really studied Paul like you want everyone to think you did.

Besides belonging on any list, he deserves to be way up the list. He belongs there along with Adrian, Steve Smith. Kirk Hammett is overrated and some of these other names are obscure. I'm talking about guitarists who have put in the time, write the most awesome riffs and solo's out of this world. I'll back Paul on any list any day, and so will the other's on this forum. Because we Love Saxon. This is a Saxon site and although I am new here, I am by no means new to Saxon. If you can not see Paul as an innovative, awesome guitarist that his is, , then this conversation is over.

Paul is a Metal guitarist first and foremost, thus he belongs way up on the Metal guitarist list. Finished.
Hi marty

it seems you didn't read my posting: i wrote that Paul is a great guitarist, very inventive and that he wrote some memorable riffs which became heavy metal trade-marks. If this is not a great compliment I didn't know what it is.
I cited two of his best-known riffs (princess of the night and never surrender), trying to explain why they had been so ahead of the time in 1981, while they would not have been if they had recorded in 1983, to substantiate my assertions, something that it is not so common in music forums discussions, where it is frequent to read unproved assertions like "Mr x is the best guitarist/vocalist/drummer of the world and if you don't agree with that bollocks to you" (most of the times people who post similar assertions could not even play the most basic open chord on guitar!).
if you play rock guitar even to a basic level (like myself) you would easily understand my examples.
Having said so if you don't know guitar gods like Michael schenker (Ufo, scorpions, Msg) or Wolf Hoffman (Accept mainman), i suggest you to buy some of their records and you could judge by yourself their work: i can assure you that they are not obscure guitarist anyway and that particullary Michael schenker has always been rated one of the best guitarists around for at least 25 years.
Last thing: it is debatable if Paul is at the same level or if he has the same relevance of Maiden and Priests axemen, i guess he is a bit under but this is just my opinion. I honestly believe that Adrian smith is a bit better than Paul, not only because Adrian wrote some of the most memorable, wonderfully arranged guitar parts in all metal history, but also because he kept growing in all his career (something that it is less evident i.e. with Dave murray). Again i can give you a couple of examples just to make my point clearer: just take 2 minutes to midnight, the starting point of the song is a riff which is quite similar (as idea not as chords) to Never surrender's one but the development of the song (and the solos) it is a lot better with Maiden's tune, which is a lot more complex and technically demanding. Or just think about Wasted years: everything is perfect and wonderfully arranged with this song: could you honestly cite a Saxon song which is so perfect as arrangement?
So to sumarize my thinking: Paul is a great guitarists and a quite underrated one, but he is not the only one, even some better guitarists (Like Schenker) are totally forgotten today.

Cheers

Matteo

p.s. thanks to Cat of peace for his defence: you really understood my posting mate
Old 04-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo View Post

p.s. thanks to Cat of peace for his defence: you really understood my posting mate
Don't mention it! I agree with you about Murray and Smith. The former plays the same way from the start on (even if his style got worst when started playing with Gers), the later has changed a lot as you can hear on Dickinson's albums and latest three Maiden ones (well on Psycho Motel and ASAP albums too). By the way the initial riff to Two Minutes to Midnight is not that innovative: it's shared by a lot of tracks (Stand up and Shout by Dio, Power and the Glory by Saxon, Flash Rockin' Man by Accept and a song by Janick Gers' White Spirit - I don't remember the title, perhaps Midnight Chaser-)!
By the way, Wolf Hoffmann is a great guitar player; as great as deserved. Besides he's a nice guy: I emailed him a year ago and he quickly emailed me back!

Tags
heavy metal, saxon, solos, top metal guitarists