Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coventry1 View Post

On the last couple of records they have left the rockcheese behind and put out some stellar metal albums, that is the way forward for the band!
Last couple? They left that behind two decades ago!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:49 PM

Not over keen on Destiny or Innocence
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 PM

Love Innocence but never listen to Destiny.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellhammer View Post
I remember being so disappointed with Crusader. The title track itself was great but the sound was so watered down. The rest of the songs were pretty weak. I remember buying 'Sailing to America' on 12" purely for the artwork.... it looked great on my wall!

Innocence was the same. It tried to be too radio friendly and for me it was like they were turning their back on their fans. As for the songs, it was as though they had run out of ideas or were too high on their success to be bothered. I so wanted this album to be a good comeback but, for me it was horrible. Broken Heroes is a classic live.

I thought Nations started off well. The first three songs were a return to form i thought. It went downhill from there however and you are right, the sound isn't great.

Destiny... Well after being faithful and sticking with the band, i'm afraid this album was the final straw. I think i have only listened through its entirety once! I lost all patience and didn't buy another release by the band until this year!

I think i shall give these albums a listen through again soon. Its been a long long time since i have and maybe now i have mellowed enough to bear them!
I completely agree with this post 100%.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 AM

I was actually listening to Destiny today for the first time in years. Absolutely hated it when it came out, and is was the final straw for me as well. I gave up on them for a while at this point.

However, as I was listening today, I was imagining those songs being re-recorded with the current line-up and production team. Much like they did with the "Heavy Metal Thunder" and "Unplugged & Strung Up" albums; I think some of those songs would really come to life. Especially stuff like "S.O.S.", and pretty much everything on side 2. Biff's voice is much more powerful these days as well.

I know it's a long shot, but maybe somebody could run it by Biff & the boys? Would make for a great bonus cd on a future release, or even as a stand-alone cd imo.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moofish747 View Post
I was actually listening to Destiny today for the first time in years. As I was listening today, I was imagining those songs being re-recorded with the current line-up and production team. Much like they did with the "Heavy Metal Thunder" and "Unplugged & Strung Up" albums; I think some of those songs would really come to life. Especially stuff like "S.O.S.", and pretty much everything on side 2.

I know it's a long shot, but maybe somebody could run it by Biff & the boys? Would make for a great bonus cd on a future release, or even as a stand-alone cd imo.
Couldn't agree more, and I posted something similar a couple of years ago when I "rediscovered" Destiny. SOS in particular is a great tune, with a classic Quinn Genius guitar solo,and you can see them perform it live in 88 on YouTube. I think it's a shame Stefan Gallas, the w*nker of a producer, covered large parts of it in a blanket of keyboards.
I'd be happy if they re-recorded just SOS and possibly We Are Strong or anything else on side 2, but to re-record the whole album would be brilliant, and literally set the record straight because it's an album with some superb songs on it which most Saxon fans love to hate!
Old 05-08-2017, 05:41 AM

Yea, a re-recording of those "forgotten albums" would be cool...