Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM

Pretty big fan of Queen (I had the good fortune to see them on The Works tour - which makes me envy a friend who caught a show on the News of the World tour).

I have to say I have a preference for the era pre- Live Killers. For me, The Game was a change of approach that I didn't associate with too well, preferring the stronger, more dynamically mixed earlier albums.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Queen is not my thing,but I have a huge respect for them....Queen had to be the most original band out of the 70's.

You had all this type of rock music,and out of nowhere came "Queen"!

Nobody ever saw it coming,we all have to admit that!

bowie, roxy music both paved the way for bands like queen who apart from one album didnt turn the music world up side down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:42 PM

well there'e an interview that can be found on youtube where freddie said that they were there before bowie, it was very frustrating that it took them 2 years to release the 1st album so it seemed like they were copying bowie and others when basically they did that kind of music first. you obviously don't like them and that's ok like i don't like bowie
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
well there'e an interview that can be found on youtube where freddie said that they were there before bowie, it was very frustrating that it took them 2 years to release the 1st album so it seemed like they were copying bowie and others when basically they did that kind of music first. you obviously don't like them and that's ok like i don't like bowie

no wonder freddie had a big nose with rubbish like that !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Queen is not my thing,but I have a huge respect for them....Queen had to be the most original band out of the 70's.

You had all this type of rock music,and out of nowhere came "Queen"!

Nobody ever saw it coming,we all have to admit that!
i agree with you, they're the most original band of the 70's! no one mixed all that sort of music (which was considered unmixable) and not just that they got away with it but they produced some of the most memorable and greatest songs ever! i always like rock fans who even if they're not into certain band they admit they're great. j.d. diamond i read some of your posts on priest forum (although i'm not registered there) and did you know that halford said a few years ago that only songs he has on his ipod are all priest songs and all queen songs. his fav queen song is ogre battle
Old 05-31-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
i agree with you, they're the most original band of the 70's! no one mixed all that sort of music (which was considered unmixable) and not just that they got away with it but they produced some of the most memorable and greatest songs ever! i always like rock fans who even if they're not into certain band they admit they're great. j.d. diamond i read some of your posts on priest forum (although i'm not registered there) and did you know that halford said a few years ago that only songs he has on his ipod are all priest songs and all queen songs. his fav queen song is ogre battle
Hey innuendo......hey no I did not realise that Rob has Queen songs
on his I-Pod!! Great!! It shows Rob realizes how important Queen is to the Rock community.

Yeah man,Queen doesn't have to be anyone's favorite band or anything,but everybody always recognizes the band's greatness of originality.

Songs like Tie Your Mother Down..ect....Queen has really made a huge mark in rock history,I can see why they are your favorite band Innuendo.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:43 AM

i have classic rock magazine from a few years back where members of many rock/metal bands (halford, dickinson, stanley, tate...) where picking their fav queen song. i will write some of their comments tomorrow, i don't have the time to do it now
Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM

this is great concert that every queen (and i dare to say every rock) fan should have. they're not officially released so there's no need to delete this post. first link is great concert from '75 where they're playing songs from first 4 albums which they had till then, very raw, energetic and kinda progressive, very different than let's say live at wembley.

second and third links are for live killers 4 dvd set (also bootleg dvd with no official released material) which is just about the best queen concerts you can get, one of the best live bands ever in their performing peak. some little material is from '78 but mostly is from '79. i think we should open a thread and make it a sticky where we would post links for some great bootleg dvds.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5120...8_ROOM_101_%29

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4969...lers_discs_1_2

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4978...lers_discs_3_4

if there's no seeders on last 2 links here is another link for live killers 4 dvd set, you just need to register to download torrents (and you can see the setlist) but it's worth it trust me

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1188...four-dvds.aspx
Old 11-26-2009, 01:42 AM

on 24th november was 18 years since freddie's death and he proved to be more than just rock star, he's a legend, an icon! everybody knows who he is, there's no one like him and also there are very few true pop cultural icons like him.(there's elvis, the beatles, michael jackson, hendrix and i can't think of anyone else from music industry, of course there's many but very few real icons that everyone knows about). and popularity of queen never stops to amaze me, in uk in popularity they're second only to the beatles. they just released best of compilation called absolute greatest and it's no. 3 on uk album chart with sales over quarter of a million for the first week of sale. and amazing thing is that everybody already owns that songs on one of the 3 greatest hits compilations and they're still buying it, queen's market is endless. and also for 18th anniversary of freddie's death A MEMORIAL will be unveiled by Queen's Brian May at a ceremony in Feltham a week today.

The tribute to Freddie will take the form of a Hollywood-style star and hundreds of fans are expected to make the trip to see May and Mercury's family pay tribute on the 18th anniversary of the rock star's death.

The event on Tuesday November 24 will open with a performance by a Queen tribute band at 11am before May and Mercury's mother Jer Bulsara and sister Kash Cooke unveil the plaque in The Centre's main piazza, where it will become a permanent fixture.

Freddie and his family lived in Gladstone Avenue in Feltham for 10 years in the 1960s and 70s and he studied art at Isleworth polytechnic, which is now West Thames College.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZDGMVmZBSw&NR=1
Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 AM

and this is from queen site:
The famous Queen Christmas show at the Hammersmith Odeon on December 24th 1975 is to be broadcast on BBC2 on Friday Nov 27th at 11.35pm.

Hammersmith Odeon, London, England by Greg Brooks

Now I’m Here / Ogre Battle / White Queen / Medley: Bohemian Rhapsody; Killer Queen; The March Of The Black Queen; Bohemian Rhapsody (Reprise); Bring Back That Leroy Brown / Brighton Rock / Guitar Solo / Son And Daughter (Reprise) / Keep Yourself Alive / Liar / In The Lap Of The Gods (Revisited) / Encore Medley: Big Spender; Jailhouse Rock; Stupid Cupid; Be Bop A Lula; Shake Rattle And Roll; Jailhouse Rock (Reprise) / Second Encore: Seven Seas Of Rhye / See What A Fool I’ve Been / God Save The Queen
(Unusual track sequence, but correct)

This concert is available as a bootleg recording.

This show is broadcast live on both Radio One and The Old Grey Whistle Test, whose host Bob Harris introduces the band on stage dressed in a white suit and top hat. Due to the television and radio coverage (including numerous brutally edited repeats), this performance will go on to become the most heavily bootlegged of the band’s career.

Although at one point only three vinyl albums seemed were in circulation – ‘Command Performance’, ‘Christmas At The Beeb’ and the curiously titled ‘Halfpence’ – since the advent of compact disc, innumerable alternatives have flooded the market: ‘Eve Of Christmas’, ‘London 1975’, ‘Rhapsody In Red’, ‘Command Performance’, ‘X’Mas 1975’, ‘Live Dates Vol.17’, ‘Christmas At The Beeb’, ‘Unauthorised’, and most recently ‘High Voltage’.

Due to public demand, the radio broadcast will be repeated the following year, on December 28.

i have to say this really is one of the best queen concerts captured on film and i should know cos i've seen them all. i heard/saw some clips from that concert with now improved sound and video and i have to say it's truly amazing. don't take my word for it, check it out yourself.

you can check a little bit from that remastered concert on this roger taylor interview on bbc breakfast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU0qbfXE0ws
hammersmith footage appears at 4:12-4:53

and you can check another bit from that concert on jools holland interview with roger at 1:53-2:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqSZVYXauww

can't wait to get this in dvd quality when someone record it and put it on torrent and finally someday get it in all its glory when it comes out officially