Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned

Exclamation Disagree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo View Post
hello all

Paul Quinn is a great guitarist and a quite inventive one too expecially in the rhythm parts so that some of his riffs have become heavy metal staples. To give you just a couple of example the use of palm muting in Princess of the night or the way he alternates open string and fourth chords in Never surrender were quite ahead of their time and have been perfectionated over the years by several bands.
Having said so, in my humble opinion he is not a real guitar genius in the way people like Van halen, Michael schenker or Malmesteen are (to cite just teh three most influencing metal guitarists of the last 30 years).
Neither he is in the same league of Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, KK downing, Tipton or Kirk Hammet or Wolf Hoffman to cite a totally forgotten hero

No one of them is currently in the best guitarist lists so i think it is fair that neither Paul is included

Matteo
Mr. Matteo, what kind of allegiance do you have. Have you really studied Paul like you want everyone to think you did.

Besides belonging on any list, he deserves to be way up the list. He belongs there along with Adrian, Steve Smith. Kirk Hammett is overrated and some of these other names are obscure. I'm talking about guitarists who have put in the time, write the most awesome riffs and solo's out of this world. I'll back Paul on any list any day, and so will the other's on this forum. Because we Love Saxon. This is a Saxon site and although I am new here, I am by no means new to Saxon. If you can not see Paul as an innovative, awesome guitarist that his is, , then this conversation is over.

Paul is a Metal guitarist first and foremost, thus he belongs way up on the Metal guitarist list. Finished.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Yep,I have to jump in here and agree that Paul Quinn along with Doug Scarrett are so far underrated guitarists that its almost unbelievable how someone could over-look these guys.

Wow,the talent of these guys match K.K.Downing and Glenn Tipton,Dave Murray and Adrian Smith...ect...it is painful to watch this band be over looked by anyone really.
You said it the best. I agree 100% with you JD. As a matter of fact I've agreed with about everything I seen you write. Way to go.

Saxon Rules !!!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:03 PM

i also remember graham oliver saying in a guitar mag interview back in 1986 that for originality and composition paul quinn wipes the floor with most other playersand in the same interview paul said a perfect solo is when you can whistle it walking down the street, try doing that to some bands solo's widdle widdle widdle widdlei say for fuck's sake give us something good for once
Old 04-16-2009, 06:07 PM

quinny is definetly up there with the maiden and priest guitarists
Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyWalker View Post
You said it the best. I agree 100% with you JD. As a matter of fact I've agreed with about everything I seen you write. Way to go.

Saxon Rules !!!
Hey,thanks Marty,I really appreciate that alot my friend. And we all enjoy "your" posts very much,and thank you for coming to this forum!

You, Fire In The Sky, riley23, lionessheart, matteo, Fingers, never surrender and Bosnian Witchfinder all have hit it right on the spot here...all of these points of view are equal and we all know that Paul and Doug are underrated,and should be given credit where credit is due.

I love Judas Priest and Iron maiden,Black Sabbath...Motorhead...but at the same time I get tired of Saxon being shoved off to the side by the media or whom ever is printing magazine statistics about top guitarists in heavy metal...they list all these guitarists and never mention Paul or Doug...?

Or bands in general..they list all these bands and never even mention Saxon?
It sucks to see this great band being over-shadowed by other bands,not that those other bands don't deserve credit,but it leaves a foul taste in your mouth when Saxon is not mentioned.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Quite honestly I don't give a crap if Paul is on a "Top guitarist" list or Saxon is on a "Best Band" list. I know he and the band are what Heavy Metal is all about. If others don't want to recognize that, it is their loss. We who know will have had richer lives for experiencing the greatness that is Saxon!!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtt View Post
Quite honestly I don't give a crap if Paul is on a "Top guitarist" list or Saxon is on a "Best Band" list. I know he and the band are what Heavy Metal is all about. If others don't want to recognize that, it is their loss. We who know will have had richer lives for experiencing the greatness that is Saxon!!
Yes mtt I understand and agree with your views here except for one.... The over-all point I think is that we all want other people to recognize the band.....and being listed in guitar magazines,or "best band list" the band gets more of a chance to get recognized.

With the recognition they have a chance at gaining new fans and then the new fans buy thier albums and see thier shows...

Just by the new fans buying thier albums and seeing thier shows,the band gets more $money in thier pockets for the awsome songwritting and live shows they so deserve.This being said,I have to "dis-agree with you" and say that 'I do care".

But you are correct at saying: We who know will have richer lives for experiencing the greatness that is Saxon...thats for sure.

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 04-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Just to prove to myself that I didnt dream the headline from Kerrang regarding Saxon (it was 1991 not 1990 as I posted earlier)

http://www.musicstack.com/my/item.cg...re=DEEP+PURPLE

Last edited by Fire In The Sky; 04-18-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:19 PM

I don`t bother, or care, what the general public think anyway. They can take their "lists" and stick`em up their arse for all I care.

Just like our parents were, we are like them in so many ways. We don`t care what the new generations think. Our music is OUR music and WE love it.

Would you ever consider listening to the music your parents listened to? Ok, maybe not such a great question to ask since I`m in my 40`s and have children in their teens. :lol: My parents listened to Big Band music and Polka type stuff. When I was a teen, I listened to Sabbath, AC/DC, Maiden, Priest, Saxon, etc... and there was no way my parents thought it was music. Same goes for me when I hear my kids with their music. It`s rubbish as far as I`m concerned.

So, these people who make these lists, or vote for the lists, simply don`t know too much about music. I wouldn`t let it bother you so much. It`s been this way for generations now. It`s merely a popularity contest and there are morons out there with no lives to speak of and certainly fudge these on-line polls or mail-in/call-in polls.

Paul is awesome and as long as we know it, he`ll know it and those morons who don`t know shit will never know it.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:26 PM

See it as a compliment, that he is not mentioned in any list. If Paul would be on nr 5. tomorrow in such (useless) lists, there would be real reason to worry.. He could say: O my God I never stood in such lists, and now suddenly I am in such lists, O my god, has my guitar-playing become that worse!

Paul Quinn is a non-sabbatical guitarist, where other famous guitarists had 5 year sabbaticall, to re-load, he just kept going on...it's like with race-horses, some horses always race and do there job, and you have race-horses that quit or... stumble or get sick..or whatever!

Last edited by Heavycelli; 04-18-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Tags
heavy metal, saxon, solos, top metal guitarists