Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessheart View Post
Apart from the diabolical Lochness, I agree that Angel of Retribution is up there with Priest's best releases.

It's a shame for a band of this stature to end up as a parody which the last album and on stage performances highlight all too well. I get the impression that they can't be bothered.
Yeah they can't be bothered is right. And we are all supposed to jump for joy because they decided to do one more tour without a studio album?

Its fucked up,they should of just quit and called it a day,jeeze.

Rob came back in 2004 and alls they have is one worthy LP(Angel Of Retribution) and they go out with an experimental album as thier last?

Judas Priest have always tried something different yes but they also are "THE" band thats known for thier stamp of very "heavy" metal music and Nostradamus doesn't do the name "Judas Priest" justice to be Judas Priest's last and final album,it just doesn't no matter if someone loves the album or hates it it isn't what Judas Priest is all about and what they are known for.

They have been hinting about a new studio album a few times and they did mention a month ago that there would be some news in December for the band's plans ect...
but none of us ever thought there would be just a "tour" a Farewell tour at that with no new studio album we never saw it coming and it ruined it for me.

This next studio album was supposed to show the metal community that Judas Priest will always be the masters of heavy metal but nope,they wizzle out and retire under the regiem of an album called Nostradamus that is anything but signature Judas Priest. "SIGH".

I haven't seen the band live since the 1988 Ram It Down tour,I missed the reunion tour and the Angel Of Retribution tour,I was going to go to the Nostradamus tour untill I heard the album then I "gave my tickets away" to a friend,and was waiting for the next "real heavy metal album" to see them live,so I guess I'll never see them live again,so fuckin be it.

What is exciting about a farewell tour without a new album? Nothing and thats the problem. They should of just quit after they gave us Angel Of Retribution,it would of been so much better for myself,these last 5 and a half years have been a 'tease" waiting for another kick ass heavy metal LP.

This is why Saxon have been consistant with heavy metal since 1995's Dogs Of War album till today as Priest can't give consistancy to pure british heavy metal after the Painkiller tour. They did Jugulator which was very heavy in 1997 and it took them 4 long freaking years to release Demolition which was a terrible experimental album....4 long years!

Then another 4 years to release Angel Of Retribution but Rob came back so thats understood but 3 and a half years later to only release Nostradamus? And now 2 and a half years later to retire.... it just sucks,this once great band has fizzled out on a bad note. "Blah".

With Priest being anything but consistant these last 15 years and also with Maiden writting less than average Lps these last "20 years" it is Saxon who has been the "Kings Of Heavy Metal" if you will these past 15 years.

And looks like they end up on top and they really deserve it,they really do and I'm glad that they are giving the fans what they want....another studio album #19 and it wouldn't suprise me if they make a 20th studio album.

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 12-12-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 PM

It is very sad to see Judas Priest go, wouldn't the band be around 43 years old by the time the farewell tour begins?

I hear people talk down at their album, Nostradamus, I must say I have not listened to that album so I cannot pass judgment (although surely it cannot be anywhere near as bad as Metallicas St. Anger album, which in my view is the worst album I own, it was so bad, I decided not to put it on my iPod and was embarrassed to sell it or throwing it away just in case binmen searched my bins :P ) - I will remember JP for British Steel and Painkiller.

I suspect there will be a Judas Priest re-union in the future *please God* (hell stranger things have happen)

It is worrying that bands like Judas Priest are going because in their place is usually crap from Kerrang or Scuzz (an awful "Metal" channel that shows a ton and three quarters of Nu-Metal), like there are a lot of new young Blues bands out there playing Blues like it should, I hope the same thing will happen to Rock and Metal (there are a few young metal bands out there worth listening to - White Wizard and Dark Forest UK)

Stalk me on LastFM

Last edited by J-Hawke; 12-13-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hawke View Post
It is worrying that bands like Judas Priest are going because in their place is usually crap from Kerrang or Scuzz (an awful "Metal" channel that shows a ton and three quarters of Nu-Metal), like there are a lot of new young Blues bands out there playing Blues like it should, I hope the same thing will happen to Rock and Metal (there are a few young metal bands out there worth listening to - White Wizard and Dark Forest UK)
What always does strike me when I go to gigs is how young many of the audiences are. They weren't even born when the likes of Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Saxon et all started out.

I hate the brand of metal which comprises of a lead singer who just screams and the rest of the band just play as loud and fast as they can with no chords or melodies.

I just stay as on old stick in the mud and stick with the bands I love. When they retire I won't have any gigs to go to
Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
Bad times? Same here Cat! Send me an e-mail my friend,I've got a lot of stuff to tell ya!
Of course. I'll do it ASAP! Thanks for your interest!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Schämsz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU-Io...eature=related

awesome times

The Drummer has Landed
Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 PM

One thing that is good is that Judas Priest won't be able to let the fans down anymore with thier retirement because they won't be releasing anymore albums like "Nostradamus" and apparently they aren't capable of writting a 'real" heavy metal album anymore which is fucking "pathetic".

The last 10 years of this band has been anything but good let alone great,Angel Of Retribution was a great record but thats about it.

Judas Priest after 2005 is very disappointing. Many fans still hope that they will release another studio album but now I've changed my mind,I don't want to hear anything from them as in the state of mind they are in the album wouldn't come out worth a shit anyways.

Saxon totally blows Judas Priest into dust fragments its not even funny anymore. Priest are soooo "WEAK" and Saxon are so strong and inspireing. Saxon from 1995 and still climbing are the Kings Of British Heavy Metal and they prove it year in and year out.

A big mighty hails to certain members of the Priest forum though,what a great bunch of people they really are,Guido,HRMG,spapad,Hellrider,Head Banger,Becks,Vail,Ron,jimmy james,Budred and ect.... you guys totally rock!

Last edited by J.D.DIAMOND; 01-02-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM

Couldn't find a proper thread to put this in but ya know what puzzles me?

The fact that all these fans that defend Judas Priest and Iron Maiden saying how its ok for them to "change" and evolve yet when you ask these same people about "Metallica" they all start bashing them saying how they are betrayers and they cut thier hair and watered down thier brand of metal?

But its ok for Priest and Maiden to do the exact same fucking thing?

Now don't get me wrong here,I can't stand Metallica as I only like the Cliff era Metallica but I also bash Priest and Maiden for thier sloppy efforts,but yet I've read so many fans give Priest and Maiden a free pass to do whatever the fuck they want but Metallica are back stabbing bastards because they "sold out"?

That is a fucking "joke". These individuals are filled with hypocrisy.Any thoughts on this observation?
Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:

The fact that all these fans that defend Judas Priest and Iron Maiden saying how its ok for them to "change" and evolve yet when you ask these same people about "Metallica" they all start bashing them saying how they are betrayers and they cut thier hair and watered down thier brand of metal?

Now don't get me wrong here,I can't stand Metallica as I only like the Cliff era Metallica but I also bash Priest and Maiden for thier sloppy efforts,but yet I've read so many fans give Priest and Maiden a free pass to do whatever the fuck they want but Metallica are back stabbing bastards because they "sold out"?

That is a fucking "joke". These individuals are filled with hypocrisy.Any thoughts on this observation?
Priest hasn't changed as much as Metallica has over a period of the last 20 years. Metallica went slower, wrting more blues orientated (And even country style) metal songs, dabbling in C tuned nu metal-esque pieces, and Priest changed from Rob to Ripper Owens, changing a good bit of the sound, and then changed back to Rob in 2004 and bringing back a classic Priest sound with him. The Priest sound had changed with Ripper at the helm, songs were tuned lower than ever before, Ripper was (In my view) trying to be Rob Halford when he should have been himself, and by that I mean that he would be himself on some songs, but there was always a section of a song where his Rob impersonation would slip in. When Rob came back the band went back to the old formula, it wasn't the new British Steel or Sad Wings of Destiny by any conceivable means but Angel of Retribution had it's moments and it's weaknessess, as did Nostradamus and the recent live stuff that has been released.

Priest's style was the same on Nostradamus, albeit with an orchestra. They did falter with the idea with a concept album, that alone does have some limits to start with, and adding a large orchestra into the mix makes things even harder to work around for a band like Judas Priest. If it had been older songs being orchestrated then it would have been different, but brand new material with an orchestra to factor in was always going to be a weird process. It is an alright album, no Grammy winner but it doesn't deserve all the shit it gets. Priest only wanted to test the waters of new ideas and it didn't pan out, and I suppose they wanted to try something new before they closed up shop for good.

They haven't done anything wrong, they or their fans aren't to blame, and this witchhunt is entirely pointless. Iron Maiden have changed, Metallica (Even after trying to go back to what they once were with Death Magnetic) have changed, but Judas Priest always did what they knew was best, simple, standard metal song layouts and a powerful stage performance which very few bands come close to matching. They didn't make the best of moves with Nostradamus, it wasn't a good mix of standard metal and orchestral scoring (Very different approaches to writing have to be taken), but give them a break for trying something highly radical for the first and only time in the band's 30+ year history. They had the "Radio friendly" glam period of the 80's, as did Saxon, but overall they kept everything key to what is Judas Priest, and now, as they begin to bow out for good, they will uphold their legacy and display the greater moments of their history with a fiercely passionate live show.

Never turn your back on The Ripper.

Last edited by Sir Lionheart; 01-15-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 PM

alot of bands will in the next 10 years be going belly up (or maybe theyll be like the stones and go on forever!) as old age will finally see them of. just like alot of us old rockers ?! priest like many others will alway be remembered in the highest order. that folks is there legacy.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:

One thing to note that people attacked Metallica during the Napster MP3 sharing era by spelling Lars name to Lar$, mostly because people belived that music should be free and Lars was a money hungry SOB

I don't think Metallica has betrayed the genre as much as Def Leppard, Joe Elliott with his words about Def Leppard being a "country" band and was never metal, in my point of view that Leppard was NWOBHM to start off with, then became softer over time eventually turning to some sort of pop rock group although since we are on the case of Metallica, I will say that St. Anger is the worst album in my music collection, it is so half-arsed, underproduced and it is like Metallica couldn't be botherd singing.

Stalk me on LastFM