Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM

Default Iced Earth & Saxon - Zagreb, Feb 21st

This was the 3rd time for me to see Saxon... I always kinda dug the band until they reappeared in Croatia in 2003 - it was then and there I fell in love with the band! I was astonished and jaw dropped, as I was on the two later gigs...

Zagreb's Inciter opened the evening, unfortunately I didn't catch them, as I entered the venue just in time to see Iced Earth begin their set. The venue was packed, to say the least... It was so crowded my girlfriend lost breath at one moment due to the crowd pressure. IE did a great show, the audience was ecstatic to see them for the first time here... Their sound was too bassy and muddy, with drowned vocals and that spoiled the enjoyment to a degree...

But Torben did a kickass job to make the best out of the underpowered PA system and Saxon sounded radically better and clearer. Although there were a 100-200 people lacking in the audience (obviously hardcore IE fans), the atmosphere was something to tell about... It was really electric and several friends of mine not really acquainted with Saxon were really pleasantly surprised and agreed with me that Biff & Co. really delivered a better show! And the band themselves seemed really glad for the enthusiastic crowd, I suppose they rarely come across such a wild bunch so much into the show...
For the 2nd encore they played Princess Of The Night, you can only imagine the people going nuts...

Great show, makes me eagerly await their another show!
Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 PM

Here's a photo album I took from that show, there are several Saxon photos:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=1448572
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM

i saw saxon on 21st february in zagreb for the first time. great show! what really suprised me the most was how good biff's voice was, it was fantastic, he sang like he was at least 20 years younger, it's really amazing considering his age. setlist was great also! caught a guitar pick from paul and my girlfriend got an autograph from biff and nigel ( at the time i was buying sayon t shirt) which she gave to me.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Hey Innuendo,
your girlfriend is blessed if she gave this to you.

And yes, the voice of Biff is more than great

Adios, Achim (hmthunder)
Old 02-25-2009, 01:35 PM

does paul on every show throw full hand of guitar picks? when he threw them it was like 5 of them and they fell on the floor and i was lucky enough to pick one.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 PM

when did they actually start the concert in zg and finished it? i didn't have my cell phone with me so i couldn't check.a friend with whom i was at the concert and i also work with him is crazy about demon sweeney todd- he was singing that song all day at work yesterday and today. new saxon album is all he's listening to in his car. in a month he's going to see AC/DC in budapest so he'll annoy me with rock and roll train or some other new ac dc song:-)
Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Hello innuendo,
just for my information,
who is AC/DC ???

Adios, Achim (hmthunder)
Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM

ac/dc? some hard rock band, it could be nice if they open for saxon but they're not that famous really
Old 03-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Congrat's on seeing them, lucky. I haven't seen Saxon since the late 1980's. Over here in the US we dont get to see the legends as frequent as you, it's sad because there are alot of us that still appreciate the bands such as Saxon, Accept/UDO, and others. We dont even get to see Manowar and they are from here. But anyway's we will keep it alive by seeing Motorhead, Slayer and Maiden every time they come around.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 PM

WOW, great photos. The song list looks strong.

How many people did the venue hold?

How was Iced Earth (I gave up on these guy's when they got rid of Tim "The Ripper" Owens)?

**Again, great photos.

Tags
zagreb boogaloo croatia