Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Gig Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRWoody View Post
My comments which I prevously posted on another thread:

For what its worth, I like the Ipswich Regent, having been to Earls Court twice over the last year it made me really appreciate the qualities of a smaller venue like the Ipswich Regent.
Kicked out for head banging ? I dont think so.

Anyway, this is my view:

I was at Ipswich last night.
I have to say I was a bit dissapointed overall.
Saxon did manage to transform the crowd and they played, OK, very heavy, I dont know if it was the set list or the support slot or what but the magic just did not seem to be there for me. Pauls twin neck guitar failed to work.
The new songs were, umm, average to be honest. I though Hellcat was a bit forgettable and no where near up to standard, more like a school boys band, sure hope the new album exceeds this standard. Live to rock was very close to cheesy in my opinion, although I think they just about carried it off.

Motorcycle man, Heavy Metal Thunder and Princess of the night were the highlights in my opinion. There was no "I've Got To Rock To Stay Alive" which I was looking forward to.
Witchfinder General did not sound good at all, there are several tracks on Lionheart that would have been better for me.
Ashes To Ashes, in my view, was a slightly odd choice, although it did provide a welcome change of tempo, but, for me, Broken Heroes would have fitted in much better.

Supporting Motorhead on the Bomber tour was the first time I saw Saxon, since then I have lost count of the number of times I have seen Saxon, 40 would be a good estimate. This was probably the least inspiring Saxon concert I can remember.
Shame. Maybe I am getting too old ?

Motorhead were very predictable except Lemmys voice was worse than I remember, (I saw them 2 or 3 years ago) I could hardly hear any words at all. For me Motorhead on the Bomber and Ace Of Spades tours was Motorhead at their peak.

I missed most of the Danko Jones set but what I saw was very promising, my brother saw most of their set and said they were great, possible best of the three on the night ?
You need to stay in more
Old 12-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Unhappy No Ipswich in 2009?

Have just seen gig list for next year really disappointing that Saxon aren't going to play Ipswich - after all Biff remember how you own most of the seats at the front
Come on guys get the Regent rocking again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 PM

Great gig, however, me and a mate where upstairs, and people where SITTING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When me and my mate stood up, we were repetedly told to sit down. No way to behave at a saxon gig.