Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned

Angry Where is Paul Quinn in all these lists ???

Seems like I have a lot of things to talk about since I joined last week. All of them seem valid to me. One of the biggest questions I have is; Why isn't Paul Quinn on any list of the top 100 or 200 heavy metal guitarists of all time.

Where is the respect for the mighty Quinn. Some of the best riffs, shreds , hooks and rhythm playing and solo's are from Paul. I would place him at number one, and certainly in the top 5.

Search any list online and you won't find his name. This really pisses me off. When you see some of the names, all ahead of him, it makes me want to puke.

Why is Saxon left out on many lists. I have my own opinion about that, but I'll let you guys give yours first. BTW, Paul, if you read this, please know that you are the best.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Hi Marty -

A lot of these lists have more to do with who is flavour of the month than actual ability to be a riffmeister.

Everyone on the board here knows what a fantastic guitarist Mr Quinn is and the output of top quality songs the band have produced over the years.

The problem is (as I see it and I hope nobody takes offence!!) is that Saxon became fashionably, unfashionable after the inital NWOBHM scene (It has only been in the last few years that the band have been described as legends as opposed to ..........)

Dont get me wrong I agree with you completely (and lets not forget Mr Scarratt)

Saxon are by far my favourite band and have been for over 20 years
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM

Like Fire In The Sky said it just as to do with "who is the flavour of the month". Thanks for bringing the "respect"....
Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 PM

With every respect to the greats such as Page, Hendrix and Blackmore, who always top the "best ever" lists, it does annoy me the likes of Quinn are overlooked. Michael Schenker is also ignored
Old 04-16-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessheart View Post
With every respect to the greats such as Page, Hendrix and Blackmore, who always top the "best ever" lists, it does annoy me the likes of Quinn are overlooked. Michael Schenker is also ignored
Great props for Schenker (Cpt Nemo rules...), I just saw he's touring here in Detroit this year. And how about Tony McAlpine, I had his album back in the 80's I think it was called Edge Of Insanity, but I might be wrong...
Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM

Yep,I have to jump in here and agree that Paul Quinn along with Doug Scarrett are so far underrated guitarists that its almost unbelievable how someone could over-look these guys.

Wow,the talent of these guys match K.K.Downing and Glenn Tipton,Dave Murray and Adrian Smith...ect...it is painful to watch this band be over looked by anyone really.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM

hello all

paul quinn is a great guitarist and a quite inventive one too expecially in the rhythm parts so that some of his riffs have become heavy metal staples. To give you just a couple of example the use of palm muting in Princess of the night or the way he alternates open string and fourth chords in Never surrender were quite ahead of their time and have been perfectionated over the years by several bands.
Having said so, in my humble opinion he is not a real guitar genius in the way people like Van halen, Michael schenker or Malmesteen are (to cite just teh three most influencing metal guitarists of the last 30 years).
Neither he is in the same league of Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, KK downing, Tipton or Kirk Hammet or Wolf Hoffman to cite a totally forgotten hero

No one of them is currently in the best guitarist lists so i think it is fair that neither Paul is included

Matteo
Old 04-16-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire In The Sky View Post
Hi Marty -

A lot of these lists have more to do with who is flavour of the month than actual ability to be a riffmeister.

Everyone on the board here knows what a fantastic guitarist Mr Quinn is and the output of top quality songs the band have produced over the years.

The problem is (as I see it and I hope nobody takes offence!!) is that Saxon became fashionably, unfashionable after the inital NWOBHM scene (It has only been in the last few years that the band have been described as legends as opposed to ..........)

Dont get me wrong I agree with you completely (and lets not forget Mr Scarratt)

Saxon are by far my favourite band and have been for over 20 years
Summed up perfectly by Fire in the Sky

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 04-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks Fingers

I think us brits probably understand the fashionably, unfashionable phrase the most (we just have to look at some of the comments/stories in kerrang over the years - one that really sticks in my memory is from around 1990 when there was a story featuring Saxon + Deep Purple on the cover with the headline 'can old codgers still cut it' - I'm sure someone on the board must have a copy of it buried somewhere and can correct me on the actual wording of the headline) I think that was probably the last issue of kerrang I ever bought
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 PM

matteo i think you are talking shite there, Paul Quinn is one of the greatest guitarists ever for sure, ive never heard him play just meaningless notes in a solo, thats something maiden guitarists do regular, he's so good its criminal he's left out of these lists, but i do remember in the early 80's kerrapp magazine as its now known had him in their top 10 guitarists. who is this van keyboard chap ?

Tags
heavy metal, saxon, solos, top metal guitarists