Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2016, 01:41 PM

We all love the early stuff goes without saying. Some bands never replace original members and retain oR better what they originally achieved. With Nigel, Nibbs & Doug saxon have managed to build something better in my view. Live they are better than ever not going through the motions a live saxon show is full on. Album wise the quality has been incredible with the new members. Yes I'm biased but I struggle to think of a metal band who has consistently put out albums of Saxons quality. Then the other argument which is better early classics or more recent very strong material. To me its impossible to compare I love the trilogy of early 80s classics and they marked an exciting time in my teens. I still get as excited by the new stuff the hunger still rages. So for me its mix and match that's what makes it great. As for a reunion it won't happen. Saxon forged ahead through the very difficult 90s and into the 00s. They have a brilliant unit and all members seem to enjoy what they do - the internet has brought the band closer to the fans. And the fan base has been growing again (never went away not visible to a lot of people) the band getting the recognition they deserve. Friends have met Steve and graham saying they are nice guys. But Saxon today is a totally different animal than when they where members. It went in a different direction than they wanted to go (for various reasons). Saxon survived the hard times due to the determination of the current line up and love of what they do. No going back.

I you want to see a sad story look at the current Tank line up. It only resembles Tank in name sounds nothing like tank. Not bad music very well played and recorded but in my opinion would be better going by a new band name rather than using a known one.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:57 PM

Only for understanding and @caflyergirl :
Pete Gill is not with ODS..., so of course Nigel has no actual (!) opposite old Saxon-member at them...
(and by the way nobody can replace him - okay? )

See ya on the road, hmthunder

Edit : i mean Nigel Glockler, Nigel Durham is also not with ODS...
(ooohhhhh, all those drummer boys)

Last edited by hmthunder; 09-13-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:41 PM

How 'bout an original Priest re-union?!
Old 09-13-2016, 04:10 PM

Nope. Bring back KK only if he wants to. Otherwise they are fine as they are.

You respect people when they openly say they don't want to do it anymore like Robert Plant.

So we better make the Most of the mighty Saxon. One day they will call time on it too. Hopefully not soon soon yet because they are on top of their game.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:47 PM

I was joking, and I meant the original line-up w/Al Atkins on vox!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhy9fpx37g

Last edited by Candlemass; 09-13-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:08 PM

Something I've noticed I find puzzling, it seems most of us here agree that the current line-up of Saxon is the best, and that the albums they've been releasing are among the best in metal...so why is so little of it played live? From the show I saw last year, to the "Warriors of the Road" dvd/cd I just got, to all the shows I've seen on youtube...the lion's share of the shows consist of the old classics. Remember how Iron Maiden did their "Somewhere Back in Time Tour?" Playing nothing but all the old classics, mostly because their current material can't hold a candle to that, well, Saxon should have a "Somewhere in Recent Time Tour." Playing nothing but material from "Unleash the Beast" to "Battering Ram", which in my bloated-self absorbent-narcissistic opinion, far exceeds the "glory days!"
Old 09-15-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlemass View Post
Saxon should have a "Somewhere in Recent Time Tour." Playing nothing but material from "Unleash the Beast" to "Battering Ram", which in my bloated-self absorbent-narcissistic opinion, far exceeds the "glory days!"
I would LOVE a concert that includes only material from Solid Ball of Rock through Battering Ram. I pick Solid Ball as my starting point as that's when Nibbs joined, and that's what I view as the rebirth of the band, where they found a renewed focus on writing great hard rock/metal songs.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:00 PM

Haven't heard that one yet...and think I forgot to order it!
Old 09-16-2016, 03:33 PM

I believe that most of the people who see Saxon live want to hear the classic ones, because they do not know the 'new ones'.
Sad but true!

My dream is a festival with Saxon only, where they play all albums in row live (will happen maybe if i win in the lottery tomorrow eve )

See ya on the road, hmthunder
Old 09-16-2016, 04:00 PM

Need to get "The Eagle Has Landed III", think that has quite a bit from the newer era...