Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: 80's Saxon 90's Saxon 00's Saxon
80's Saxon 10 33.33%
90's Saxon 3 10.00%
O0's Saxon 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 PM

They sound best from Unleash the Beast through today.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:35 AM

That is a real tough one to answer. I love the early stuff but ALL the 90's stuff was excellent as well. Just look at the run of albums from Unleash The Beast onwards. I can't fault any of them really!!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:17 PM

Default Saxon 80's,90',2000's

For me,it's the 80's! I will say,to be honest,from 80 to 86!

In the 90's,they had few good albums too(Solid..,Dogs...,Unleashed...,)

During the 2000's,they've done such a good work with "Lionheart","The Inner..","Call To Arms" and "Sacrifice"

Anyway,it's hard to do better than "Wheels...","Strong Arm...",Denim...,"Power....,ect....Don't you think?

They are and will stay my favourite band of all time!:-)
Old 12-01-2013, 02:15 AM

I first heard Saxon, on the Wheels Of Steel Tour i think it was. Early 1981 I believe in Stuttgart,Germany. They were supposed to be opening for Ozzy. Fortunetly for me, Saxon headlined that show and just blew me away.

I had the opportunity to see them a few more times during my stay in Germany but haven't seen them live since. Oh well, what can I say, America sucks when it comes to music. Thank God for DVD.

Anyway, since that time, Saxon has been my favorite metal band of all time. For me to say one era is better then the other isnt possible. Each era/decade of Saxon is a natural progression. They just keep getting better and better.It seems there is no stopping them.

The 80's showed true raw metal. The 90's got a bit sleeker, some a bit tamer but still Saxon, The "00"'s well, what can ya say. Back to more feverous hard driving metal, sound is just bigger,fatter and more precise. The writing seems tighter. Even the band seem tighter and happy. How many bands, after all these years, still puttin out new great music and still appear to actual enjoy what they are doing, more so now then ever before.

Yeah, there's a few but none like Saxon. One thing that would really be a belessing for me, is the chance to see my all time favorite metal band, live just one more time. You folks over on the other side of the pond dont know how lucky you are when it comes to Live metal. Yup, just one more time to see Saxon live.....
Music Angel-YC800MK Tube Amp,Carver C-1 Preamp,S*A*M Aldebaran Turntable, Jolida JD9 Phono Stage,ZYX Ultimate100 MC Cartridge,DBX 1231 PRO EQ,DBX-120X-DS,DBX-3BX DS,SIM Moon D100 DAC,LG-550 Blue Ray Region Free,Klipsch Modified Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
Old 12-02-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edriz View Post
I first heard Saxon, on the Wheels Of Steel Tour i think it was. Early 1981 I believe in Stuttgart,Germany. They were supposed to be opening for Ozzy. Fortunetly for me, Saxon headlined that show and just blew me away.

I had the opportunity to see them a few more times during my stay in Germany but haven't seen them live since. Oh well, what can I say, America sucks when it comes to music. Thank God for DVD

There have been some great American bands. 70's Aerosmith, Kiss, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Dio. Not to mention the likes of Chuck Berry, early Elvis, Johnny Cash etc
Old 12-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessheart View Post
There have been some great American bands. 70's Aerosmith, Kiss, ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Dio. Not to mention the likes of Chuck Berry, early Elvis, Johnny Cash etc
Oh I agree Lioness, but Im more referring to bands from Europe, that I have followed for many, many years. Bands like Accept, U.D.O., Helloween, Saxon, etc. that when they do come here to America, they are usually playing to very small crowds, bars and maybe some decent size clubs holding 1000 people. If Im not mistaken, Saxon has headlined Waken more then any other band. They come here and play very small venues and maybe large bars and those are only in the biggest cities.

I bet in the UK, Germany, etc, you have the opportunity to see Saxon headline all over Europe on every tour. Even in South America, they play to large audiences. Saxon has not been in this area since they 'opened' for Rainbow when Rainbow was on the Straight Between The Eyes Tour.

Im not saying we dont have our share of great bands but in our Genre of music, even most of those do better overseas then here. DIO is a prime example, RIP. (By the way, Ronnie used to live very close to me and years ago I was one of his assistants, back in the days of ELF and early Rainbow.)

I guess the point I was getting at was American fans of the "NWOBHM" have to settle for DVD/Blue Ray concerts of our favorite bands because America has never, actually, fully embraced and appreciated heavy metal for what it is.
Music Angel-YC800MK Tube Amp,Carver C-1 Preamp,S*A*M Aldebaran Turntable, Jolida JD9 Phono Stage,ZYX Ultimate100 MC Cartridge,DBX 1231 PRO EQ,DBX-120X-DS,DBX-3BX DS,SIM Moon D100 DAC,LG-550 Blue Ray Region Free,Klipsch Modified Lascalas "Loud,Proud,Clean & Mean"
Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Default I voted in the 00's .

cos Saxon "now" offers more,,,,,,,,, Saxon now is everything they have always been and everything they have gone through. a career of songs ..... miss the Spandex'd days though,lol.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree Lioness, but Im more referring to bands from Europe, that I have followed for many, many years. Bands like Accept, U.D.O., Helloween, Saxon, etc. that when they do come here to America, they are usually playing to very small crowds, bars and maybe some decent size clubs holding 1000 people. If Im not mistaken, Saxon has headlined Waken more then any other band. They come here and play very small venues and maybe large bars and those are only in the biggest cities.

I bet in the UK, Germany, etc, you have the opportunity to see Saxon headline all over Europe on every tour. Even in South America, they play to large audiences. Saxon has not been in this area since they 'opened' for Rainbow when Rainbow was on the Straight Between The Eyes Tour.

Im not saying we dont have our share of great bands but in our Genre of music, even most of those do better overseas then here. DIO is a prime example, RIP. (By the way, Ronnie used to live very close to me and years ago I was one of his assistants, back in the days of ELF and early Rainbow.)

I guess the point I was getting at was American fans of the "NWOBHM" have to settle for DVD/Blue Ray concerts of our favorite bands because America has never, actually, fully embraced and appreciated heavy metal for what it is.
Sad about NWOBHM not hitting it big in America----- but How so Maiden & Ozzy ? Was Blackfoot big in America ?
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 AM

Not really no, Blackfoot never did make it big over here, shame too cause I always liked Blackfoot. Seen them in germany a few times also.
Maiden, Priest bith made it big here. Ozzy made it but is Ozzy NWOBHM, I dont think so. Ozzy made it on his Sabbath reputation.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quite a lot of is the sheer size of the US which makes it difficult for smaller bands. Britain and Europe is a lot easier to access for both fans and musicians. You don't have to drive several hundred miles.

The UK music scene is shit. It's down to Simon Cowell with the Excrement Factor and Britain's Go No Talent. It is loathsome garbage. One Direction are the "big band" in England

Or you have got the Rap scene with bling wearing, trousers sagging, teeth sucking gangstas.

You are not missing anything. Trust me