Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Smalltalk & Spam
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 PM

Default Olympic Opening Ceremony (+ Congrats)

I was and till a little while ago watching this on TV trying to feel the slightest bit Patriotic. Unfortunately seeing our recent history presented to the rest of the planet as a 'success story' has just left me feeling extremely deflated. The fact that this and the Closing Ceremony are costing an estimated Twenty Million Pounds doesn't help. I just keep thinking what that could have been spent on to actually make some improvements!

Oh well, cynical old me

Last edited by 747rick; 07-30-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747rick View Post
I was and till a little while ago watching this on TV trying to feel the slightest bit Patriotic. Unfortunately seeing our recent history presented to the rest of the planet as a 'success story' has just left me feeling extremely deflated. The fact that this and the Closing Ceremony are costing an estimated Twenty Million Pounds doesn't help. I just keep thinking what that could have been spent on to actually make some improvements!

Oh well, cynical old me
I share your cynicalism, I am very cynical myself these days, and I am only 28!

It is amazing how much cash was spent and how much the BBC is willing to "big things up", Homer Simpson had the right idea in the episode The Bart Wants What It Wants, cash has been waisted to make Olympic lanes in London, a letter I read in the Telegraph made me laugh asking which lane would result in the lowest fines, the bus lane or the Olympic lane.

However it is no surprise that government and councils waste cash, good example is to turn a small stretch of road outside the Welsh Assembly building in the nearby town to a dual carriageway leading onto a roundabout with writing on the roundabout saying at each entrance "Keep Clear" in both English and Welsh to impress bureaucrats from Cardiff

Those markings confused my mother once and she nearly crashed - Lemmie said it right, Government causes more problems than it solves, hence the reason I rather smaller governments.

Stalk me on LastFM
Old 07-29-2012, 04:20 AM

Couldn't agree more. I also hate the way the BBC are 'bigging things up' and literally placing medals on some GB athletes before they have even competed. It's typical of our media to do that and then 'rubbish' the person when they don't manage to get a medal (even when in reality they wouldn't get one)

On the other hand, other than the continuing Olympic Ticket debacle which looks set to run and run, I watched much of the competition on the opening day (I'm a bit of a couch potato sports addict) and, politics and patriotism aside, witnessed some outstanding performances from many countries athletes, which is what the Olympics SHOULD be about.

Being a bit of a martial arts/ combat nut and having trained a bit, before my back rebelled against me, and also having some friends who are walking encyclopedias on this subject, found the Judo, Boxing, Fencing and Archery to be extremely worth watching and look forward to more and also the other combat sports coming up as well as the shooting.

GB Ladies Footy team did very well, Our GB Mens gymnastics team have done superbly and of course its always worth watching the Volleyball/Beach Volleyball, and before everyone accuses me of being a perv I did used to play so know how tough it is
Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM

Ooooh, I'm getting a bit cheesed off with our 'illustrious' commentating team now. Since we were awarded the Games 7 years ago we've been told that home advantage would be a bonus, something that has happened to previous host countries. Leading up to different events in the first two days we've been told the same thing, until that is, a particular GB athlete doesn't perform well, which I might add seems to be happening quite a bit, then, without a missed breath they say;

'Well, our athletes are under HUGE pressure with it being a home event so it's really tough for them to perform'!!!!

Some of our Commentators have been working on particular sports for decades for the BBC and other channels. They can't have it both ways. Again it's typical of our Media. Do these so called 'experts' actually have a clue what they are saying or is it just the 'British Way'?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:22 AM

We are on the medal table, so congratulations to Lizzy Armistead for a wonderful silver in the cycling and Rebecca Adlington for bronze at the swimming .
Old 07-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Default Against the grain, I know

But I enjoyed the opening ceremony

THEY WERE BORN TO ROCK AND ROLL
Old 07-30-2012, 07:19 PM

I have zero interest in watching the Olympics. I am a bit of a patriot, I do hope we come away with a good handful of medals, but that's it for me. There's been so many mistakes and taxpayer costs that it's slowly doing more damage than good in my opinion, and I think that it's being treated more as a quick cash-in event due to its infrequent occurance than as a sporting event where national pride should be the main focus.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
But I enjoyed the opening ceremony
Trust you to be bloody awkward!!

I think it would have been better if a mix of archers, javelin and hammer throwers etc had used our illustrious London Mayor as a moving target for the finale. I would have paid good money to see that!!

Big congrats to GB Mens Gymnastic Team and their fantastic bronze. First in team gymnastics for 100 years. So close to being a silver as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM

I like very much to watch the swimming and then the jumping from the tower.
Sure Im pleased when some of the German athlets win but actually I think :may the best win,the ones who deserve it. I just like it because of this sports.
To the topic of this thread: I also think there is to much mony spent wich could be uses for other things. This happens more often on other occasions.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
:may the best win,the ones who deserve it. I just like it because of this sports.
To the topic of this thread: I also think there is to much mony spent wich could be uses for other things. This happens more often on other occasions.
I couldn't have said it better