Official Saxon Forum

Go Back   Official Saxon Forum > Saxon General
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 09:13 PM

Thumbs up Destiny,Innocence & Rock The Nations are FAR better than I thought they'd be!

As I said in the reissues thread, I didn't think the most recent reissues of Destiny, Innocence Is No Excuse and Rock he Nations would be much good. They seem to have a slagging off in the music press and apart from a few songs, don't get much airing at Saxon gigs.

I approached them with a negative mind and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised as I really thought they would be crap.

Destiny
I really like Ride Like The Wind (YES I DO!). Lightening Strikes and SOS.

Red Alert, Calm Before The Storm and For Whom The Bell Tolls are also quite good.

I do dislike I Can't Wait Anymore though. It's the type of song that they played in Baywatch when David and Co are running into the sea to save some surfer.

Innoncence Is No Excuse

VILE VILE album artwork that is a bit offputting. However some great songs. Rocking Again, Rock n Roll Gypsy and Broken Heroes.

Nothing wrong with Call Of The Wild or Devil Rides Out.

Not too keen on Gonna Shout or Everbody Up.

Rock The Nations

Great title track. Battle Cry is also a good song.

Waiting For The Night. Commercial- but still a strong song. I like Running Hot, Empty Promises, Northern Lady and Chase The Fade.

You Ain't No Angel.mmmmmm. Not great. Party Till You Puke is really dire. A bit of an insult to Elton John. He's a great talent and I'm sure they could have put his talents to better use.

All in all though, I think these threee albums are pretty good. They wouldn't be the first albums I'd save if my house was on fire, but they wouldn't be the last either.

How about other members?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:00 PM

I also like back on the streets, and we came here to rock
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Does anyone know if the actual music has been digitally remastered or anything, or if they are just literally re-isses with some bonus tracks?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 AM

I gave the Destiny reissue a listen and i think it has been remastered and remixed cause the drum sound was a bit more polished, but im not 100% sure.

Lionessheart i fully agree, Ride Like the Wind and SOS are amazing, but check out Jericho Siren as well if you havent already.

Raise Some Hell is another great one off Innocence
Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 PM

i never disliked those 3 infamous saxon albums. actually i like them quite a bit, ok they are not as good as strong arm, wheels or denim (still the "holy trinity" of saxon albums) but they are better than crusader, forever free, lionheart, inner sanctum. i think saxon should start every concert with we came here to rock, great opener and they would automatically tell you what are they there for. queen used to start their concerts with we will rock you (fast version) and from then on you know what you're gonna get, the same thing would be with we came here to rock
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=innuendo;28565]i never disliked those 3 infamous saxon albums. actually i like them quite a bit, ok they are not as good as strong arm, wheels or denim (still the "holy trinity" of saxon albums) but they are better than crusader, forever free, lionheart, inner sanctum.

I never liked Innocense,Rock The Nations or Destiny I label them as the 3 worst Saxon LPs of all time and I hail Lionheart and The Inner Sanctum as Saxon's 2 best records of all time.

Songs like Witchfinder General,To live By The Sword,Lionheart,State Of Grace,Need For Speed,Red Star Falling,Let Me Feel Your Power...every track on Lionheart and every track on The Inner Sanctum I like....very rare for me to like 2 full albums in a row but Saxon did it for me with Lionheart and The Inner Sanctum.

Into The Labyrinth is cool too but the only tracks I don't like from it are Live To Rock and Hell Cat.If those 2 songs were not on the album I would of liked the entire record.

But we all have different opinions thats for sure innuendo,we can't all like everything the same and it's interesting to view other people's ideas and opinions.What drives me nuts is "fanboys" out there who actually say they like everything no matter what it is.

There is an Iron Maiden fanboy at the Judas Priest forum who likes every single thing by Bruce Dickinson I mean everything and I told him his opinions of Iron Maiden don't mean anything to anybody because he really doesn't have an any kind of opinion to give anybody other than "buy a Maiden album...any of them because they are all great" and its a joke!

He couldn't even come up with one Bruce song that he didn't like,so I told him that he already likes every song from the new album by Iron Maiden and it hasn't even come out yet and won't till the end of this year...but he already likes it because no matter what he will like it because its Bruce Dickinson.I hate this kind of fanboys!!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:25 PM

i don't like fanboys either. and i can't stand maiden. i like priest (ok, i don't like nostradamus, angel and ripper era albums), they were the best in the 80's, classic heavy metal at its best! painkiller is ok but i can't see why so many people praise it and call it the best priest (or metal in general) album. 30th anniversary british steel cd+dvd should be interesting but it would be nice to mix that album in 5.1 so we could hear it in all its glory
So grey is the face of every mortal
Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=J.D.DIAMOND;28654]
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
i never disliked those 3 infamous saxon albums. actually i like them quite a bit, ok they are not as good as strong arm, wheels or denim (still the "holy trinity" of saxon albums) but they are better than crusader, forever free, lionheart, inner sanctum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post

I never liked Innocense,Rock The Nations or Destiny I label them as the 3 worst Saxon LPs of all time and I hail Lionheart and The Inner Sanctum as Saxon's 2 best records of all time.

Songs like Witchfinder General,To live By The Sword,Lionheart,State Of Grace,Need For Speed,Red Star Falling,Let Me Feel Your Power...every track on Lionheart and every track on The Inner Sanctum I like....very rare for me to like 2 full albums in a row but Saxon did it for me with Lionheart and The Inner Sanctum.

Into The Labyrinth is cool too but the only tracks I don't like from it are Live To Rock and Hell Cat.If those 2 songs were not on the album I would of liked the entire record.

But we all have different opinions thats for sure innuendo,we can't all like everything the same and it's interesting to view other people's ideas and opinions.What drives me nuts is "fanboys" out there who actually say they like everything no matter what it is.

There is an Iron Maiden fanboy at the Judas Priest forum who likes every single thing by Bruce Dickinson I mean everything and I told him his opinions of Iron Maiden don't mean anything to anybody because he really doesn't have an any kind of opinion to give anybody other than "buy a Maiden album...any of them because they are all great" and its a joke!

He couldn't even come up with one Bruce song that he didn't like,so I told him that he already likes every song from the new album by Iron Maiden and it hasn't even come out yet and won't till the end of this year...but he already likes it because no matter what he will like it because its Bruce Dickinson.I hate this kind of fanboys!!
I do agree that Destiny, RTN and IINE aren't up with their best, but they aren't as bad as I thought they would be. My least favourite Saxon album is actually their first one.

There are fanboys on most forums- Maiden, Priest, Megadeth etc. I don't like them as they are just blinkered and unobjective.

Maiden are my favourite band, but apart fronm a handfull of songs No Prayer For the Dying is a terrible album. Priest's Nostradamus is their worst album by miles. But accordingg to the fanboys, making those sort of statements is a travesty, "If You don't like it, you're not a real fan" and that sort of bollocks.

As for Saxon:- I like Live To Rock, but I agree with you about Hellcat. I don't lioke the bottleneck version of Coming Home either. Big Teaser, Walking through Tokyo and I Can't Wait Anymore are poor.

The worst ever Saxon song (even more so than Puke) is 6th Form Girls!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:58 AM

[QUOTE=lionessheart;28658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.DIAMOND View Post
[I]

I do agree that Destiny, RTN and IINE aren't up with their best, but they aren't as bad as I thought they would be. My least favourite Saxon album is actually their first one.

There are fanboys on most forums- Maiden, Priest, Megadeth etc. I don't like them as they are just blinkered and unobjective.

Maiden are my favourite band, but apart fronm a handfull of songs No Prayer For the Dying is a terrible album. Priest's Nostradamus is their worst album by miles. But accordingg to the fanboys, making those sort of statements is a travesty, "If You don't like it, you're not a real fan" and that sort of bollocks.

As for Saxon:- I like Live To Rock, but I agree with you about Hellcat. I don't lioke the bottleneck version of Coming Home either. Big Teaser, Walking through Tokyo and I Can't Wait Anymore are poor.

The worst ever Saxon song (even more so than Puke) is 6th Form Girls!
Well Maiden being your fav,I've always complained about them mainly the entire 1990's.As you've said No Prayer was terrible except for 3 songs,Fear Of The Dark was the same for me only 3 good tracks and the rest shit,X Factor and Virtual were both horrible,just terrible.

The oo's....Brave New World was only half good to me Dance Of Death is terrible to me and A Matter Of Life And Death was good,not great but good except for the 2 hit songs off the album "Different World" and Benjamin Bragg wich I hate,but the other 8 tracks are good...the best album since Seventh Son in my opinion.

The Judas Priest forum are not filled with "fanboys" yes there are some but they don't pop up very often.I'd say that 85% maybe even 90% of the forum do not like Nostradamus and I've been there for 5 years so I've noticed quite alot, so if somebody said that about Nostradamus on the JP forum,it was from a member who is not there very much,as I said there are at least 85% of fans there who do not like the nostradamus album.

Going back to Saxon,Live To Rock seems to lack something for me,but thats just my opinion,I can see why others like it,yeah Hellcat wasn't that good,they should of left it off the LP.

The one thing that puzzles me is this forum....95% of this forum I've noticed do not like Walking Through Tokyo or the bottleneck version of Coming Home!! HAHAHA that stumps me every time,I can't find any other fans of Saxon outside this forum who hate these 2 songs and it cracks me up lol!!

I keep playing them for people: People at work,home ect...people that have heard Saxon ect..but they all say they are passible but its this forum hahaha!! Saxon has far worse songs than these 2,yet these 2 pop up every time lol! No worries,it just is what it is. lol!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=J.D.DIAMOND;28690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessheart View Post

Well Maiden being your fav,I've always complained about them mainly the entire 1990's.As you've said No Prayer was terrible except for 3 songs,Fear Of The Dark was the same for me only 3 good tracks and the rest shit,X Factor and Virtual were both horrible,just terrible.

The oo's....Brave New World was only half good to me Dance Of Death is terrible to me and A Matter Of Life And Death was good,not great but good except for the 2 hit songs off the album "Different World" and Benjamin Bragg wich I hate,but the other 8 tracks are good...the best album since Seventh Son in my opinion.

The Judas Priest forum are not filled with "fanboys" yes there are some but they don't pop up very often.I'd say that 85% maybe even 90% of the forum do not like Nostradamus and I've been there for 5 years so I've noticed quite alot, so if somebody said that about Nostradamus on the JP forum,it was from a member who is not there very much,as I said there are at least 85% of fans there who do not like the nostradamus album.

Going back to Saxon,Live To Rock seems to lack something for me,but thats just my opinion,I can see why others like it,yeah Hellcat wasn't that good,they should of left it off the LP.

The one thing that puzzles me is this forum....95% of this forum I've noticed do not like Walking Through Tokyo or the bottleneck version of Coming Home!! HAHAHA that stumps me every time,I can't find any other fans of Saxon outside this forum who hate these 2 songs and it cracks me up lol!!

I keep playing them for people: People at work,home ect...people that have heard Saxon ect..but they all say they are passible but its this forum hahaha!! Saxon has far worse songs than these 2,yet these 2 pop up every time lol! No worries,it just is what it is. lol!
Well it would all be VERY dull if we agreed on everything.

Imagine if we all agreed on politics. In the Italian Parliment they have punch ups!