PDA

View Full Version : Rarest Saxon CD, other CD questions

mnsaxonfan
02-15-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi,
Which CD of Saxon's is generally considered to be the rarest? I know that the Axe Killer version of Innocence is No Excuse always goes for good money on eBay. I just picked up the Warhammer version of Forever Free off eBay, that's one that I have only seen available one other time prior. Is there another one like these that is very difficult to come by?

Another question, can anyone explain the difference between the Diamonds and Nuggets disc and the Coming to the Rescue 2 disc set? From what I can tell disc 1 of Coming to the Rescue is exactly the same as D&N. Were both put out by Oliver & Dawson or was Coming to the Rescus put out by someone else?

And finally, can someone fill me in on who is behind the Live...In The Raw CD? Are Biff & Company involved in this release in any way or is this another one put out by Oliver & Dawson, or is someone else responsible for that release?

Thanks,
Joel

Crosader
02-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Which CD of Saxon's is generally considered to be the rarest?
I don't know - but from my experience till now, the good candidate could be Strong arm of the law Japanese 1994 EMI CD.

Good question about "Raw" CD!

never surrender
02-16-2009, 03:09 AM
i think coming to the rescue and d&n were put out by o/d but not certain, and i think , live in the raw was released by pete gill ex saxon drummer, lionheart special edition is pretty rare and well worth getting.

Crosader
02-16-2009, 04:23 AM
lionheart special edition is pretty rare
No.
At any moment you can find dozen of those on eBay, and at quite affordable prices (and that's only eBay, not to mention the rest of the virtual and real world). You can hardly call that rare.
On the other hand, I saw only one copy of edition I mentioned during 6 months of checking the eBay and elsewhere almost on daily basis. And it wasn't cheap. Of course, I am now the proud owner of that one.

Fire In The Sky
02-16-2009, 09:40 AM
D&N was indeed released by Mr Oliver on the Angel Air label as well as the infamous Live Donnington 1980 (complete with spelling mistake)

Coming to the Rescue is a mid priced double CD with both these albums in one package this was released by Snapper Music ( some sort of licencing deal from Angel Air) although not all the D&N tracks are listed on the sleeve.

never surrender
02-16-2009, 10:40 AM
well i dont know how many of the japanese emi strong arm cd's were released, but lionheart special edition is still rare :D,sure you can still get it some places , same for most things of any band. how about strong arm of the law limited edition by axe killer with booklet and t-shirt:).

Crosader
02-16-2009, 12:27 PM
well i dont know how many of the japanese emi strong arm cd's were released ... how about strong arm of the law limited edition by axe killer with booklet and t-shirt
I also had Axe Killer Strong Arm; I sold the CD, but kept T-shirt and box. Until recently, it was easy to find, on eBay and several other sites. Now I don't see it anymore. It's limited edition of only 1500, but I'm 100% sure that 1994 Japanese EMI is still much harder to find, although it's not limited edition (quantities are probably large, Japan is huge market).

fpas
02-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know - but from my experience till now, the good candidate could be Strong arm of the law Japanese 1994 EMI CD.

Good question about "Raw" CD!

I think I have that japanese Strong Arm somewhere. I'm gonna look it up.

hmthunder
02-26-2009, 01:43 PM
@ never surrender,
you can get the Lionheart Special Edition on Ebay for
20,20 + 2,50 for transport...
It is a seller in Germany, so if you have problems send
me a PM if interesting...

Adios, Achim (hmthunder)

never surrender
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
already got it, thanks anyway :)

hmthunder
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Okay never surrender,
have misunderstood you, have a good time...

Adios, Achim (hmthunder)

Freeway Mad
05-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey guys!
I have a question. I bought the 747 (Strangers in the Night) 7" -Single on a Saxon-Gig for only 3.
I would like to know if the single is rare or not?:)

hellion76
07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
HI !
I have the Strong arme of the law / Denim and leather back to black collection from axe killer. A double black digibook with the eagle on silver on it. Very nice stuff.
But The sound could be way better...

What you think of it ? Is it a rare one to find ?

thanks

michael
09-20-2009, 04:47 PM
i think it would have to be strong arm metal and crusader on carrere records around 1985ish would be the rarest and hardest to find!

roddy
04-28-2011, 01:09 AM
I sold a copy of the warhammer cover forever free for 150 on ebay, seems there was a 12" single with different warhammer artwork too, anyone ever seen this, surley that must be the rarest item?

mnsaxonfan
04-28-2011, 04:29 AM
I sold a copy of the warhammer cover forever free for 150 on ebay, seems there was a 12" single with different warhammer artwork too, anyone ever seen this, surley that must be the rarest item?

I did see an LP of Forever Free with the Warhammer cover sell on eBay (US) recently for over $200.

Can you share a link to the one you sold? I only paid $45 for mine a couple years ago, maybe I got a steal at that price.

747rick
04-28-2011, 02:28 PM
i think it would have to be strong arm metal and crusader on carrere records around 1985ish would be the rarest and hardest to find!

I've got both of those. In fact I've got 'Strong Arm Metal' with two completely different covers on vinyl.

As for 'Forever Free' with the Warhammer artwork. I was lucky because that was the first version I bought when it first came out and for quite a while I thought that was the only cover!! I always preferred it.

Although it's not a cd my rarest Saxon item I think is 'High-Lights' on cassette. It's a German pressing on the Carrere label. It was released in the early 80's. I picked that up in 1985 if my memory serves me correctly.

I'm also very partial to the Blue Vinyl version I have of Denim & Leather. Although I'm not sure how rare that is.

mnsaxonfan
04-28-2011, 03:12 PM
I've got both of those. In fact I've got 'Strong Arm Metal' with two completely different covers on vinyl.

Has Strong Arm Metal ever been officially released on CD?

747rick
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
As far as I know it hasn't. I've never found it at any rate (got on vinyl & cassette), although it is on my list of wants if it ever appears.

fpas
04-29-2011, 01:45 AM
O yes, it has been released on cd....I've got one. Different cover though. No Eagle...I think. I have to look it up, because I'm more of an album person, not compilations.
So how much would this be worth anyway?

mnsaxonfan
04-29-2011, 06:47 AM
O yes, it has been released on cd....I've got one. Different cover though. No Eagle...I think. I have to look it up, because I'm more of an album person, not compilations.
So how much would this be worth anyway?

Keep in mind that this is what the person is asking, not what it has sold for (yet), but wow, at this price I'll NEVER get this CD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAXON-STRONG-ARM-METAL-WEST-GERMANY-RED-CD-1ST-PRESS-/300547946888?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item45fa0db988

747rick
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Jeez that's a lot of money. That cover artwork is what my other vinyl version is like though.

fpas
04-30-2011, 02:57 AM
But what is the appeal for this cd? Only because it is rare?
All the tracks are available elsewhere, and probably better sounding too.

747rick
04-30-2011, 07:16 PM
But what is the appeal for this cd? Only because it is rare?
All the tracks are available elsewhere, and probably better sounding too.

The appeal for me doesn't stem from the rarity of the item, although obviously that is a nice bonus, it is simply that I try and collect everything that has been released. As I have mentioned before I have over 120 releases by the band on CD, Cassette, Vinyl VHS and DVD. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea to collect lots but I just enjoy doing it when funds allow.

MattMetallica
04-30-2011, 11:21 PM
lionheart special edition is still rare :D,sure you can still get it some places , same for most things of any band.

I just got this for 15 quid off play, well happy!

fpas
05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
The appeal for me doesn't stem from the rarity of the item, although obviously that is a nice bonus, it is simply that I try and collect everything that has been released. As I have mentioned before I have over 120 releases by the band on CD, Cassette, Vinyl VHS and DVD. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea to collect lots but I just enjoy doing it when funds allow.

Ok, fair enough. I can understand that. I'm a bit of a collector type myself, but more in general. When I like something, like a band, I tend to buy all the albums. But not to the point of everything that has been released. But I know what you mean. So...if I was to find this Strong Arm Metal cd, you'd be interested in buying this?

DaedraLord
05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
As far as I know it hasn't. I've never found it at any rate (got on vinyl & cassette), although it is on my list of wants if it ever appears.

Yes it has been released. I have it and i was listening to it few hour earlier. I will upload a pic when i'll return back to windows.

747rick
05-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Ok, fair enough. I can understand that. I'm a bit of a collector type myself, but more in general. When I like something, like a band, I tend to buy all the albums. But not to the point of everything that has been released. But I know what you mean. So...if I was to find this Strong Arm Metal cd, you'd be interested in buying this?

Saxon are the only band where I try and collect lots of stuff so yes I would be interested, but at a sensible price :)

mnsaxonfan
05-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Saxon are the only band where I try and collect lots of stuff so yes I would be interested, but at a sensible price :)

I'm with Rick, if you can find this on CD at a reasonable price, I too would be interested.

saxon40
05-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Well I have been reading this post, and I would love to weigh in on it. Strong Arm Metal is a 30 to 40 dollar cd in pristine condition. I have around 300 Saxon cds and could tell you just about what I have in each one. They range from 1.00 to 250.00 dollars
I would say by far Rock the Nations 1987 Emi Japan release is by far the hardest to get. It was in short supply in Japan and is a real gem. I would love to answer any questions you may have for me on cds. I only have a couple Lps that are rare a heck.
Forever Free on Warhammer is killer in a 12" and also The best on Carrere records only released in Mexico.
take care and hit me up anytime with any questions. Bryan

747rick
05-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Well I have been reading this post, and I would love to weigh in on it. Strong Arm Metal is a 30 to 40 dollar cd in pristine condition. I have around 300 Saxon cds and could tell you just about what I have in each one. They range from 1.00 to 250.00 dollars
I would say by far Rock the Nations 1987 Emi Japan release is by far the hardest to get. It was in short supply in Japan and is a real gem. I would love to answer any questions you may have for me on cds. I only have a couple Lps that are rare a heck.
Forever Free on Warhammer is killer in a 12" and also The best on Carrere records only released in Mexico.
take care and hit me up anytime with any questions. Bryan

That's a heck of a collection. Would love to see a list of what you've got!! Might well have some questions for you in the future. Cheers.

While I'm here. Many years ago I picked up a vinyl copy of 'The Eagle Has Landed' because the cover looked 'wrong'. When I got home and checked it with my other copy I realised that the Eagles head on the cover was facing the other way. Has anyone else ever noticed that?

Bit anal I know but when it comes to Saxon I'm always looking out for things!! :)

FITZINYA
08-07-2011, 09:47 PM
How rare is the self titled SAXON 1979 release on vinyl???